• Register Today It's free!

keyless entry

tom clark

Reaction score
City, State
brandenburg, ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
great info found on this subject. My problem is my remote quit opening the doors so I put in a new battery. Now the doors only unlock with it every once in awhile and only if I'm in the ex. It will work with the panic button more though. I did have the new battery tested and they said it was fine. I have keyless entry too. Its a 96 ex. xlt. Do you think the remote is bad or it needs reprogramming? Also about how much is a new fob?

Thanks for the help!!!!

It probably needs to be programmed again.. Here's how you do it on a 95-97..

cycle iginition from off to run 5 times within 10 sec, ending in run, all doors will lock then unlock to confirm programming mode, press any button on the 1st remote transmitter. door locks will cycle(lock then unlock) to confirm programming. to program additional remotes - press any button on the next remote(upto 4 total possible) locks will cycle again. turn ignition off. locks will again cycle to indicate the end of the programming mode.

I bought a key fob from the dealer which came out to be about $38-40. A gentleman in the service department tried to program it for me but it wouldn't work. So I have a lying somewhere in the RAP module or the wiring. I would try reprogramming it, it may have lost the signal once the battery was replaced? If you're looking how to reprogram it, there is a link in the "List of Useful Threads" that has reprogramming instructions based on year. Keep us updated.

I wasn't quick enough on that response.

Back