who has replaced the battery in their keyless entry remote? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

who has replaced the battery in their keyless entry remote?

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
i need to replace the battery in one of my "keyless entry remote keychain things." i know which battery to get from the owners manual, but when i replace the battery, will i have to reprogram the "keyless entry remote?" will i have to do anything with the other remote?...will that one have to be reprogrammed too?

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No reprogramming necessary, Tbomb. After replacing the battery, it should work fine.:cool:

Originally posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
No reprogramming necessary, Tbomb. After replacing the battery, it should work fine.:cool:

excellent, thanks runnin'onempty (damn thats a long name to type out, heh.) ill prolly do it at lunch this week then :)

I relaced the battery in one of my remotes, and I did not have to reprogram it. Both of my remotes work fine.

Now having said that, I went to a batery shop, and they took the old battery out and then put in a new one right away, so don't take the battery out and then wait a week to put in a new one, if you do.........who knows!

How do you take the battery out? Any certain side you have to pry it apart on?

Yes how do you pry it out? mine is dead too..

You can pry the two halves apart, then you'll see the battery in one of the halves.

just use a dime on the end opposite of the key loop to pry the halves apart.

My neighbor replaced the battery in theirs and it stopped working. I had to go down and reprogram it for them. If you have to reprogram one, you have to do both (or up to 4) at the same time.

Changed mine today. Just pryed it apart with a flat head screwdriver. It takes two 2016 batteries. Got them at Wal*Mart in the electronics section for about $4. I took the time to take it all the way apart and clean off all the dirt built up on the buttons and stuff too. Looks and works like new now. :)

I've replaced my batteries a few times, never had to reprogram them. These little suckers are tough, they've gone in the pool because I forgot them in my pockets, and through the washing machine because well... I left them in my pockets again.

Back