KickerKX1200.1 with 2 Kicker L7 12s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KickerKX1200.1 with 2 Kicker L7 12s

Mista808

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I now have a KICKERKS1200.1 Mono Block Amp and 2 Kicker L7 12s. I was at first going to just run a 15 inch L7 on the amp but I realized my friend had some L7 12s he was trying to get rid of awhile back but I haven't talked to him in a couple months so I figured he already sold them. Found out he has 4 L7 12s just sitting around almost in brand new condition so I bought 2 of him for only $250 and you def. cannot beat that! Altogether I bought a KickerKS1200.1 (MSRP $599.99) for only $250. Bought 2 Kicker L7s for $250 (MSRP $249.99 each) and 2 Alpine SPS-690A 6x9s for $40 (MSRP $129.99) that I will mount to the top of the Kicker box. Sounds like I got a pretty damn good system for the price I've been paying for it all. :D

I think the 2 L7s will be alot better with that amp then if I were to get the KICKERKX850.2 amp with 1 Kicker 15.

All I need now is 4 door speakers - a new battery made for the thump abuse. Would I need a compassitor or however you spell it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Like you said...upgrade the battery. But you will also probably need to upgrade your alternator. The factory alt only puts out about 90 amps. Your system will overload the alt and you will get the dimming lights. Also do a search for upgrading the "big 3". Those are the negative and postive battery cables and the cable from the alternator. Only get a cap as a last resort.

caps are worthless....do the big 3 and run 1/0 to the back and you'll be fine... and get a new battery for under the hood... the only reason you need two battterys is if you want to run the system alot with the car off...

how hard, costly is it to do the "big 3"
lol... I have to search it.

All in all I've spent around $300 on wire, distro blocks, fuses, and conectors. I am running all 1/0 gauge wire for power to a distro block that is located about 8" from the amp which has 8 gauge goin from the distro to the amp. The ground is also 1/0 gauge and is run from the frame to the distro block and from there it is 8 gauge(also located 8" away from amp) all the way to the amp. I have also upgraded my battery to an Evertsart MAXX 1000CCA battery. The alternator is a 200 amp alt that i had built for my needs.

Best example of how to do the Big 3 is located in the following thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124175

IndyExploder said:
All in all I've spent around $300 on wire, distro blocks, fuses, and conectors. I am running all 1/0 gauge wire for power to a distro block that is located about 8" from the amp which has 8 gauge goin from the distro to the amp. The ground is also 1/0 gauge and is run from the frame to the distro block and from there it is 8 gauge(also located 8" away from amp) all the way to the amp. I have also upgraded my battery to an Evertsart MAXX 1000CCA battery. The alternator is a 200 amp alt that i had built for my needs.

Best example of how to do the Big 3 is located in the following thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=124175

So getting a better battery would be out of the question? Is this something I pretty much HAVE to do with running 2 kickers? 300 seems quite a bit expensive to do all that. Do they have higher amp alts for our trucks at Autozone or Napa or something? I'm looking for the easy route. Replace battery with Optima or another brand made for car audio and replace the altenator to have more amps if possible.

Car audio is not easy or cheap. My system is basic and I have well over 4K into it.

Since you want to go the cheapest route possible go with an Everstart MAXX battery from wallmart. Be around $65 and puts out 1000CCAs. AutoZone and Napa don't carry big alternators for our truck.

Try

Ohio Gen Alternators
Mean Green
Excessive Amperage

for your alternators.

IndyExploder said:
Car audio is not easy or cheap. My system is basic and I have well over 4K into it.

Since you want to go the cheapest route possible go with an Everstart MAXX battery from wallmart. Be around $65 and puts out 1000CCAs. AutoZone and Napa don't carry big alternators for our truck.

Try

Ohio Gen Alternators
Mean Green
Excessive Amperage

for your alternators.

Well - I'm willing to get a better battery then that. I figured I'd just get a yellow top or red top. Can't remember which one I bought for my Prelude but that battery fixed all my problems when I had a good system in that car. The Prelude only had 90 amps as well as far as I remember. Even despite hearing others push 4 12 L7 Kickers with this KICKERKX1200.1 you'll still think I'd need all the new wiring for just pushing 2 of them myself?

I'm def. gonna get a nice battery no question on that I'm just not sure which make or model I should get. Optima red top or yellow top or? I can spend 100-200 on a battery so let me know please.

oh - and im still not sure what distro blocks are for? I see what they look like - and see them hooked up in peoples cars but never knew what they actually do? I'm all set with the KickerKX1200.1, 2 Kicker L7s, a Pioneer 7700MP deck. Now I just need 4 door speakers, and all the wiring (and all the other accessories like distro block? dunno if I need that) etc. etc.

I just want it all to work SOON! I hate seeing it all laying on my floor at home begging me to be put into the truck :D

All distro blocks do is split the power coming from the battery into multiple outlets. They are used for multiple amps. Dont need it if you only have 1 amp.

For example....... one 1/0 gauge coming from the battery into two 4 gauge outlets to run to the amps. One power cable in/muliple power cables out

Zeke said:
All distro blocks do is split the power coming from the battery into multiple outlets. They are used for multiple amps. Dont need it if you only have 1 amp.

For example....... one 1/0 gauge coming from the battery into two 4 gauge outlets to run to the amps. One power cable in/muliple power cables out

good explanation.. I actually get that :thumbsup: :D
thanks.

Mista808 said:
...and 2 Alpine SPS-690A 6x9s for $40 (MSRP $129.99) that I will mount to the top of the Kicker box....

Why are you considering that?

you need to erase you personal messages- i can't respond to the one you sent me last week.

you also need to not put those 6x9s there. in fact you need to erase all thought of ever using 6x9s from your head.

expo5.0 said:
you need to erase you personal messages- i can't respond to the one you sent me last week.

you also need to not put those 6x9s there. in fact you need to erase all thought of ever using 6x9s from your head.

lol you make me laugh :D erasing now - and I'll try to wipe my brain from any thought of 6x9s even ever existing.
6.5s fit in our doors right? I hear 5x7 6x8 but what about round 6.5s?

expo5.0 said:

weird i dont have any messages new or old in my inbox. :rolleyes:

erase sent messages?

So you all are saying an extra battery is worthless? Damn Im getting running to run another amp for a total of about 2600 watts. I guess big three and alternator to come.

expo5.0 said:

Thank you :thumbsup:

extra battery is not worthless-

throw a deep cycle in the back with an isolator, use the stock battery to start the car, and upgrade the big three...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea Currently I run just a 200 amp alt, Big 3, plenty of runs of 1/0 gauge wire, and my deep cycle under the hood. Next year I plan on running 2 deep cycles in my system

Back