• Register Today It's free!

KKM

ksaldibar

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island (part of NYC) , New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT and '99 EB
i finally ordered my KKM intake last night and it should be here by friday according to the person that tok my order. i can't wait. i just thought i would share the joy. bye.

-ken :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good for you. I have a HUGE difference in performance when I installed mine. Enjoy!!

I just ordered mine today too...along with a street scenes grille....woooooohooooo!!!!!!

i also had a huge difference in mine. so glad that I dropped the money on that

I've got to jump in and agree with everyone else!
Huge and noticable difference in sound and performance!

D

Hey,

I got mine earlier this summer and love it. Sounds and looks great and it improved my MPG by around 3mpg so it was well worth the money for me.

-Matt

its worth the money just to be a washable filter. I wouldn't say theres any perf. differences, dont get yer hopes up, you will be more happy with results that way :p

Dont expect to see any gas mileage increase. I don't see how it's possible to see a gas mileage increase unless you run at WOT all the time.

Originally posted by Jason_25
Dont expect to see any gas mileage increase. I don't see how it's possible to see a gas mileage increase unless you run at WOT all the time.

I picked up almost 2 MPG with my KKM.

Same here and I'm almost never at WOT

Well, I don't have a KKM....yet.
But I recently removed the bottom half of the air box and tied the filter on with wire.
Which is on it's way to a KKM.:D

I usually got 17-18 mpg with around town driving.
Last tank was 18.7 mpg.
There is a nice steep hill on the way into town.
With the cruise on 70 mph it usually dropped to about 65 and downshifted about 3/4 of the way up.
Now it drops to about 68 and never downshifts.
And it can't be my driving style because cruise is doing all the driving.;)

good lord thats good gas mileage. I get 12.9 at best

howd you tie the filter up? you dont want any unfiltired air getting in there, I'm not sure how yer box is desgined but I'm not sure mine could even do that.

I have no reason to doubt the increased MPG claims; however, I too don't see how an increase in the amount of air into the engine can increase MPG.

Please someone here help me out... Wouldn't an increase in AIR in the Air/Fuel mixture prompt the ECU to believe the engine was running LEAN, thus increase the amount of Fuel to compensate and thereby DECREASE your gas mileage?? (if this logic is correct, by restricting the airflow, you can get better gas mileage.. which seems counter-intuitive).

I fully understand how an increase in power may result, but it also seems that with the increase in power comes an associated decrease in Gas Mileage as the ECU compensated for an overly LEAN A/F Mixture.....

So, the $1,000,000 question is... What is the explanation for the increased fuel economy that people are seeing with the KKM, K&N, or drilled Airboxes?? Is it just wishful thinking, some un-explained law of physics that we don't yet know about, or something simpler? =)

Gururise

Hey,

I really dont know how to explain the increases. I wasnt really expecting to gain anything other than maybe a little power and a cool sound at WOT.

Well I got the sound and probably a little performance, but the gas milage increase amazed me. I have been tracking my milage for about 6 months prior to getting the new filter. It was almost always right around 12.5.

Now after the filter my driving is pretty close to the same and Im seeing 15-16mpg consistantly over the past 4 tanks of gas i have run since getting the filter. It may have to do with how heavy one is on the accelerator. I dont think I drive much differently but I am heavy on the gas so maybe a person that drives closer to WOT on a regular basis will see more of an increase in Milage than someone who is easy on the pedal?

I dont know I think Im just rambling now so Ill go now ;)

-Matt

With my K&N FIPK I did not see any improvement in mileage. I did notice a bit more power under WOT. I've tried to figure out how people could be getting better MPG also with their open air filter, but so far can't come up with any logical explanation. It takes a certain amount of horsepower for a given vehicle to drive at a constant speed. For example lets assume that it takes 50 horsepower for my Explorer to cruise on flat terrain at 60 MPH. Using the ideal fuel properties ratio of 14.7:1 it takes a certain amount of air and fuel to make 50 HP. Just because my engine is capable of sucking in more air through a less restrictive air filter, does not change the air-flow requirements to make 50 HP. In otherwords my mileage shouldn't change under cruise conditions which my own personal tests have shown. None of this is scientific and my Physics days are about 12 years past so maybe there is a logical explanation why some people seem to get better mileage with a less restrictive air filter. When I finish my current tests, I think I'll run 5 tanks of gas with my stock box (& new filter) against 5 tanks against my freshly cleaned FIPK.

your right bro, thats why you gotta get a chip so you can change your ratio around to adapt to the amount of air that your letting in, but if your not into the chip idea, then a mass-air-flow sensor will do the trick, as soon as i get the money for it im gonna get both so i can be sure to get the best out of my truck.

Your engine is a negative pressure air pump. If you occlude the intake enough the engine will have to work harder to suck the correct amount of air in. this loss of efficiency can show up as lost horsepeower or less mpg. The more restrictive the intake, the more resistance will be placed on the engine when it turns. Sort of like running thick oil verses thin oil. The argument lies in what constitutes too much restriction on the intake. There is a school of thought that says the stock set-up is way too restrictive and that a KKM or K@N gives them more horsepower. The other school of thought says all an aftermarket intake does is make you sound cool. Either set up gives you the proper amount. You don't get "extra" air with an aftermarket intake.

cool, i ordered mine too and its coming friday too. but unfortuantely i have to be out on friday so i might miss it!

Hey Robert, if you have a FIPK and also the stock airbox then it is pretty easy to do a statistical test to see if there is a difference. If you email me with the data I can run a real simple T-Test on it. Or if anyone else has a t table then they can do it as well. But I am real curious to see the results. The tanks would just have to have the same ratio of city/highway and aggressiveness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it worth it?

From reading mosinman's post and talking to several diffrent ford reps it sounds as thought we are all waisting our money on these intakes. It seems all we need to do is replace the riged pipe in the intake line with somthing smooth and drill holes in the air box. I'de much rather spend 30 cents on some pvc pipe and sacrafice the "sound" that you get with kkm or k&m. If any one out there sees as flawed logic please prove me wronge, so me numbers not just KKM rules.

Back