• Register Today It's free!

Knocking sound in steering column

mdriggan

Reaction score
City, State
Little Rock, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Expedition
I have been noticing a knocking sound in the steering column for sometime, but seems to be getting worse. The sound is not very loud, but noticable when paying attention to it. There is also a slight vibration in the steering wheel when the knocking is happening. I have tugged on the column inside the engine compartment, and it feels tight and secure. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix it so the knocking will stop? I replaced the shocks this past spring, so hopefully its not a loose shock.

Michael

Take the cover off the steering wheel and look for a metal doo-hickey mounted with rubber grommets. This is some kind of vibration dampener they put in there. It is common for one or two of the rubber connectors to break, causing a knocking in there when you hit bumps just right. I`m not sure if the later explorers had it, but the 1st gens all seem to.

It might be the solution.
I took mine right out and never missed it, If that`s not it, I`m not sure what it could be.

Good luck!

also look in the engine bay, about 2 foot from the wall you should see a rubber boot, often this splits and should be replaced after a clean and grease up job, also and last check all bolts are tight through out the stearing!

Back