Kris Guilbeaux' New Krawler Project Best of Both World | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kris Guilbeaux' New Krawler Project Best of Both World

Ok, its time to announce that I am building a new Crawler, Code Name Red Bull 2. This has been in the building stages since Dec. 06. Due to slow funding and length of project, i chose not to post till I could get some major head way on the Project.

This idea came to me when thinking of ways to make the most ideal Explorer with comfort and function. 1st gens have there good points and Bad points as do the 2nd gens. So with knowing what Like and do not like I should just build an Explorer thats just what I want, which was a 2nd gen on a 1st gen frame... :eek:

I am Sure yall are all thinking this guy is Crazy...

I think your all right...

I start off with a 1992 Parts Truck

Picture_356.jpg

Dismantle the 92 and remove the body from the Frame

sucubus1.jpg

Dispose of the Body

sucubus2.jpg

sucubussquah.jpg

What I have left!!!

Picture_014.jpg

So, Now I have the 1st gen frame covered Now I need a 2nd gen... What Better place to look then at tow truck storage yard. Yup thats right I find a 98 Eddie Bauer with an SOHC V-6 Wrecked and abandoned at the yard with a Clean title!!!

Picture_0021.jpg

To be Continued...

PS. This project is quite far along. I can not post over a year of Progress in one post please stay tuned as I update you along the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bonus points for towing with another Ex...or is that the Mounty, either way:thumbsup:Look forward to the build up.

ooh, this looks like a good project :thumbsup:

and i honestly dont think any of us would be here if we werent all atleast a little crazy

Great going Kris, I was wondering when you were going to post up something about this project.

Jeff - :navajo:

I am hoping to have this Explorer complete with in 2009.

It will be
1998 Explorer
1992 Frame

The truck will get all the items listed below
Dana 44 SAS
5.13 Gears
lockers front and rear
Hi steer
CTMs
Alloy Shafts front and rear
custom Paint job
custom leather interior
SOHC V-6
5 speed Automatic
Manual Shift 1354 Transfercase
roll cage
tube front and rear bumpers
winch
37 12.5 17 BFG mud-terrains

The Two Trucks I started were
1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2wd
and
1998 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2wd

Yup thats right I did it again I started building another Explorer starting only with 2wd Trucks.

I held out as long as I could... since things are moving I figured I would start the write up... ;)

Great going Kris, I was wondering when you were going to post up something about this project.

Jeff - :navajo:

Sweet, in your scrap yard pics, I see a Barko model 475A. I have worked for them the past couple summers.

Anyway, this seems like an interesting project. So does a 2nd gen body bolt right on to a first gen frame without modification?

So does a 2nd gen body bolt right on to a first gen frame without modification?

Some what, Almost, Not Quite... ill explain in a Future post of what needs to be done modification wise...

looks like a fun projeect ahead, continue making progress! :thumbsup:

Very nice Kris, I know how much fun that is going to be. I had my 93 Limited 4WD chassis for a while before I scrapped it.

The frame mounting points are identical. The V8 is better to fit into 91-94 bodies, versus the SOHC V6. The 95+ radiators are far better than older radiators, thus the 95+ front end is better for giving better cooling.

FYI Kris, get the frame wiring harness off of the 98 chassis before scrapping it, and the rear end. That truck also has the ARC air suspension, lots of extra wiring, air lines etc. Regards,

I am going to rewire the frame for the 98 wiring. You are very correct about mounting the Motor.

My 98 did not have ARC :( cause if it did I would have installed that on my 99 Mounty.

The front two mounting points on 1st gen Frame are 3" narrower then the 2nd gen also this means that I will have to use a 1st gen Radiator...

Very nice Kris, I know how much fun that is going to be. I had my 93 Limited 4WD chassis for a while before I scrapped it.

The frame mounting points are identical. The V8 is better to fit into 91-94 bodies, versus the SOHC V6. The 95+ radiators are far better than older radiators, thus the 95+ front end is better for giving better cooling.

FYI Kris, get the frame wiring harness off of the 98 chassis before scrapping it, and the rear end. That truck also has the ARC air suspension, lots of extra wiring, air lines etc. Regards,

Are you sure about that Kris, my first measurements suggested that the front was close enough, because the body holes are oval shaped. I shouldn't have written identical.

You should try very hard to keep the whole 98 body with the radiator. It is that much superior that it is worth any minor work to make it happen.

I have read many times that the ARC was standard on all 95-98 Limited's and Eddie Bauer trucks. They must have been stopping that during the 98 model. I really like the rear ARC I installed in my 99 Limited. It works very well for my work loads.

arent you a bit further along on this project then this thread suggests? LOL

I remember seeing some pictures of the Gen III body done and painted bright red, wasnt this your truck Kris?

I may be mistaken as I have been away from EF alot lately but seeing the pics of that Gen I and frame brought back memories...bright red gen II body done????

keep up the good work post pics of it when ur done fixing it up would love to see how it looks.

yes I am much further along then the Thread Suggests. since we are on the subject of Body Swaps lets go in to the Transplant part of the thread...

I wont go in to how Gross the previous owner was. The interior was Nasty gross stinky...

I will post up a quick couple of pictures of body work that needed to done...

100_0746.jpg

100_0749.jpg

I dont wanna hear how unsafe my body Swap was... Its all I had at the time.. :D

Picture_035.jpg

98 body on 92 frame...

redbull_004.jpg

spaced out body mounts..

redbull_002.jpg

my bent 98 frame he he...

Picture_036.jpg

Stay Tuned more to come...

Ah, which front bumper is going on it? That's what I meant by the front frame mounts. I'll delete any superfluous posts I make later. Regards,

Bumpers will Be tube custom Bumpers with a winch on the front.

This looks to be a great build! I'd probably go the same direction, focusing on both comfort and function. Sorry if i missed your explanation among the discussion of differences in body mounts and radiators, but why did you choose the 1st gen frame? Is it just more straight forward to do the SAS starting with the I-beam suspension? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This looks to be a great build! I'd probably go the same direction, focusing on both comfort and function. Sorry if i missed your explanation among the discussion of differences in body mounts and radiators, but why did you choose the 1st gen frame? Is it just more straight forward to do the SAS starting with the I-beam suspension? :scratch:

A SAS on a 1st gen frame is easier if you ask me. I get bored some times and think of things that nobody has done yet. Plus I always have some thing to tinker with...

Back