La Bajada, NM 1-3 July | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

La Bajada, NM 1-3 July

Buffet sounds good to me. We can finalize it when we get out there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Guys, I think it is going to be best if we postpone this trip for the time being since there are several factors working against us. :(

I just looked at a map and part of the trail is on Forest Service land which just went into Stage 3 restrictions this past Friday which means no entrance. While I think the part we would be in is still under Stage 2 I havent been able to confirm that. Also my main concern is that just today a forest fire started up 15 miles away from the area so it will be very smokey. Cochiti Mesa is under mandatory evacuations which is just above the lake. Everything is just so dry it doesnt take much to spark a fire.

The trip would be much more enjoyable at some other time when it cools off and I would be able to show more of the area via the trails that are now closed under the restrictions. Plus the air quality for this coming week and weekend is not going to be good at all. I really want you guys to come out and run this trail but I just think with this new fire it is not going to be a good time to do it.

Guys, I think it is going to be best if we postpone this trip for the time being since there are several factors working against us. :(

I just looked at a map and part of the trail is on Forest Service land which just went into Stage 3 restrictions this past Friday which means no entrance. While I think the part we would be in is still under Stage 2 I havent been able to confirm that. Also my main concern is that just today a forest fire started up 15 miles away from the area so it will be very smokey. Cochiti Mesa is under mandatory evacuations which is just above the lake. Everything is just so dry it doesnt take much to spark a fire.

The trip would be much more enjoyable at some other time when it cools off and I would be able to show more of the area via the trails that are now closed under the restrictions. Plus the air quality for this coming week and weekend is not going to be good at all. I really want you guys to come out and run this trail but I just think with this new fire it is not going to be a good time to do it.

Dang that sucks. But right now I don't know when will be able to make it again due to work (or no work actually) and such. I am going to have to chance it as it is right now and take a wait and see approach.

Theres some nice trails I posted awhile back that are right out side of Las Cruces, NM not too bad of a drive from Albuquerque, they are still open ( to my knowledge )

Theres some nice trails I posted awhile back that are right out side of Las Cruces, NM not too bad of a drive from Albuquerque, they are still open ( to my knowledge )

Closer to me :D
How did the lift go? was too busy on Sat and no where near Ft. Bliss

http://www.koat.com/news/28362925/detail.html

Local link for the Texas guys to check it out.

Char and I won't be attending. Honestly, I had got to the point of not really wanting to go since the temps are so high along most of our route out there. I was going to go just for the sake of retracing Jack's steps.

I have had a lot of problems with blowing tires on the trailer in the high temps. I've got spares, but really don't want to deal with temps in the hundred teens which is what we have been experiencing here.

When the weather cools off, we'll be good to go:chug:

Char and I won't be attending. Honestly, I had got to the point of not really wanting to go since the temps are so high along most of our route out there. I was going to go just for the sake of retracing Jack's steps.

I have had a lot of problems with blowing tires on the trailer in the high temps. I've got spares, but really don't want to deal with temps in the hundred teens which is what we have been experiencing here.

When the weather cools off, we'll be good to go:chug:

Hear that!!

Understand, I just wanted to retrace Jack's steps also, but with the fires going on, it just don't look like it will work, and changing blowouts is not a good thing either.

We will have to wait until cooler weather prevails for La Bajada.

Robert and I are still going going for a run. He don't get another vacation till next year, but a LaBajada can be done in a 3 day weekend for those of us near there.

Im really bummed guys, I was looking forward to it. :(

On a positive note the trail is really nice in the fall!

Here is a map of the fire. It is currently burning where the red circles are and La Bajada is at the very bottom in the green strip right where the 0 is on the distance ruler. It has exploded to around 40,000+ acres overnight

Conchas-and-Cerro-Grande-fires-data-0355-6-27-2011.jpg

True Brian, was really looking forward to this run, but poop happens, the trails will be there still later in the year and doing them in the fall will be a lot cooler, not gonna close the thread, will just reopen it later this year. Then maybe we can have camp fires instead of wild fires!!

Bummer your run got toasted.
I am going north to get out of this heat. I am leaving tonight for 4 days in Aspen, Colorado then up to Steamboat Springs for 6 days. First long roadtrip in my new little car.

I looked at this thread a couple months back and was interested in going, but Labor day is a time we usually go camping. I came back to look again since we will be camping outside of Santa Fe and would be close. I was bummed to see the run had been canceled, as I have had a desire to do this run. I have hiked up La Bajada before and figured it would be an interesting run.
As usually happens in NM the forests close for awhile in the summer before the monsoons startup then forests are open again.
It's interesting there is forest land on the top of the mesa, as there is about 1 tree per acre up there. :)
I will keep looking here to see if it gets rescheduled.

2Trux, thanks for checking in on this thread, I am looking at Coloumbus Day weekend or Veteran's Day weekend as a possibility, it will be cooler. I have to make this run at LaBajada, it is just something I feel I have to do.

It is still on! :D

La Bajada made national news... Seems they have a webcam set up near the entrance. A cop was caught on video having sex with a woman on the hood of a car there!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

La Bajada made national news... Seems they have a webcam set up near the entrance. A cop was caught on video having sex with a woman on the hood of a car there!!

LaBajada is sounding better and better!! :D

Back