Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Larger Tires on OEM & Aftermarket Wheels

Hi, anyone know the largest tire I can fit on the 2012 explorer? Currently they’re 255/50/20.

Thank you for looking, can’t find the answer anywhere…!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, anyone know the largest tire I can fit on the 2012 explorer? Currently they’re 255/50/20.

Thank you for looking, can’t find the answer anywhere…!
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure where you searched but I found this thread using the Forum's Search feature (upper right) and merged your thread with it.
Are you looking to use the OEM wheels or aftermarket?
There is also this one; BF All-terrain 285/55/R20 on the 2011 EXP Limited?

Peter

What is the largest tire size without a lift to fit on 2015 Ford Explorer V6 Ecoboost AWD?

Welcome to the forum!

IDK, but I'd pick a username that's not your email address as that can allow spambots harvesting it and result in a flood of spam.

What is the largest tire size without a lift to fit on 2015 Ford Explorer V6 Ecoboost AWD?
Your thread was merged with this one on much the same issue. Check the posts and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.
As J.C. mentioned, it is probably not a good idea to use your email address as the forum name, if it is indeed your address. Only Rick, the Admin would be able to change it if you send him a PM.

Peter

Your thread was merged with this one on much the same issue. Check the posts and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for.
As J.C. mentioned, it is probably not a good idea to use your email address as the forum name, if it is indeed your address. Only Rick, the Admin would be able to change it if you send him a PM.

Peter
Thanks my friend

I have a 2016 explorer limited with 265/50R20 tires and I want to step up to 305/50R20 like the SEMA explorer had that same year.
I’ve already lifted it with the traxda 2” lift. I replaced struts and shocks at the same time and I’m up 2 5/8” front and 1 7/8” in rear.
I’m getting wheel adapters for clearance because I’m keeping the stock rims.
It’s got a great stance now I just want something more aggressive.
Has anyone tried a setup this large and what are some pros and cons.
I’m not worried about tire size % increase over stock or the ABS system calibration.
Here are some pics of it currently. First one is after the lift and last few are after blacking out the chrome.

D4884959-06AB-416E-BEFC-AA19158FD883.jpeg 1AEC39D4-6C3A-48BE-A79C-1D820C325E8F.jpeg 83A477AD-4132-46A7-A158-8FFA5105657A.jpeg B7047E45-A4AC-4E72-B0B8-25CFF76730E7.jpeg

As you are probably aware, that size is NOT recommended. The Traction Control and suspension and brake systems will also be affected.
You seem to be choosing appearance over safety (style over function)! But then, it's your vehicle. Good luck.
BTW, I did a quick search of the 5th gen forum and it seems that no one has installed this size tire/wheel combination.

Peter

As you are probably aware, that size is NOT recommended. The Traction Control and suspension and brake systems will also be affected.
You seem to be choosing appearance over safety (style over function)! But then, it's your vehicle. Good luck.
BTW, I did a quick search of the 5th gen forum and it seems that no one has installed this size tire/wheel combination.

Peter
Thanks for the reply, I’d already searched and came up empty which is why I posted. I’ll post more pictures when it’s finished.

Found a good deal on some new tires and rims for my ST, they’re 20x8.5 +35 offset with 285/50r20 tires. Anyone know if these will work without any rub or anything?

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum Toby. :wave:
What OEM size are you running now? The common acceptance is not to exceed the OEM diameter by more than 3%.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Toby. :wave:
What OEM size are you running now? The common acceptance is not to exceed the OEM diameter by more than 3%.

Peter
Thanks! Mine are the 20” option. I believe they are 255/55r20.

Just did a quick search on "20x8.5 +35" in this thread and the 6th gen forum and your post is the only one that came up.
I'm not sure about that width and offset. Some members have used the tirerack.com site to check things like that.

Peter

What are the widest tires that will fit on the Sport 20" rims? Fit is also critical as they cannot rub on the fender wells when turning.

Thanks in Advance.
HH

What are the widest tires that will fit on the Sport 20" rims? Fit is also critical as they cannot rub on the fender wells when turning.

Thanks in Advance.
looking at Conti

Thanks in Advance.
HH
I'm looking into Conti 295/45 ZR 20 same height as stock but wider by about 1 1/2 inches. yes they're incredibly expensive but this would be my 3rd set as I have had great luck. Any input?

If you're looking to go to 22s, I've been running 285/35/22 tires for over 8 years now on my 2014 without ever having any issues.

So I have a 2018 Platinum, factory calls for 255's, what the largest tire you can put on the stock wheels?

So I have a 2018 Platinum, factory calls for 255's, what the largest tire you can put on the stock wheels?
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). There isn't much that hasn't been discussed.
Browse through the posts and I think you'll get some idea.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back