Lateral shock absorber replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lateral shock absorber replacement?

audionut

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4 X 4
Hey,
I was laying under my truck yesterday deciding how hard it would be to install some Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks when I noticed that I have a lateral shock absorber on the right rear.

Has anyone ever replaced this shock and if so what shock did you use? Also, any tips or tricks on replacing my existing shocks?

Carter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced the stock shocks on my 95 earlier this year with Gabriel VST shocks. I didn't do anything with the lateral shock because all it is there for is to help cure a vibration Explorers have at freeway speeds from what people say. Most, when they lift them with shackles or add-a-leafs just take it off because it hampers their articulation.

Some hints for replacing the regular shocks:
1: lower spare tire and move it out of the way. this provides room to access top nuts of rear shocks.
2: left rear shock top mount is a b@#%h to get to. there is some type of metal tray with something for the fuel system on it that, if you could remove it, would be much easier to access the nuts.
3: the fronts are pretty easy from what I can remember. it may be easier to access the top nuts for the front from the engine bay with a deep socket and extension.

That is about all I remember. I am sure somebody else can add to this.

On another note, do you ever going 4X'ing. If so , do you want to get together sometime and go.

Good luck. If you can get somebody like Pep Boys to do it, it might be worth it. I when I bought my shocks from them they had deal that was $10 per shock installed. After the rear shocks I wished I would have done that instead of doing them myself. Just an idea.

Hey Mike,
Thanks for the info! I just called a local shop and they're having a special on the IAS shocks right now with $10 per shock installation. The IAS are a little pricey but from what I've read they sound like an excellent shock. I might just do that but they are really backed up changing tires because of the Ford tire recall.

I do some 4 wheelin' on ocassion. I don't do hard core 4 wheelin' but I do hit some of the fire roads to take pictures because I'm into photography.

Let me know if you want to do a little 4 wheelin' and we'll get together if the weather permits.

See ya!
Carter

4 wheelin'...

Well, if we get together it will have to be somewhere in between where we both live. You are in Everett and I am in Puyallup. I don't know of any good places to go, but hopefully you do. I know Matt R. (I think that is his name) lives up near you. Him and his buddies sound like they go out often. He once talked about getting together with some of us Washingtonians(sp) and going up by Snoqualmie(sp) Pass to do some wheelin'. About the only days I can go are on Sundays. We bowl on Saturday nights at 5:30 PM.

As far as the shocks, I hope you are able to get in for the $10 a shock install price it will be worth it. At least for the back ones.

You mean your shocks dont have the bolts right underneath? Hmm, on my 97 all I needed was a long extension and a socket and the popped right off, I was surprised when I saw that figuring I would have to snake my hand up in there to remove them, but they unbolt from the bottom! :) I had both rears replaced in less than 15 minutes, and I didnt even need to jack it up or remove the spare. Now putting in the add a leafs, I had to jack it up.:(

Hello,
I ended up having them installed at a local shop. Kind of an Anniversary (16 years!) present from my wife. Pretty understanding wife I have here. My next project will be a Borla catback exhaust. I'm trying to get a little more HP out of this V6. It looks like a pretty easy installation.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Carter

Back