ld50 Explorer mods revisited | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ld50 Explorer mods revisited

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiasts.
If you want to jump to my solid axle swap thread click link below: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163210

If you start here you will see the mods to my Ex in cronological order as they happened, and as my own ideas and expectations were being formed. Some of my early mods led me into my SAS, and were essential to the process. There is a link to my solid axle swap at the end.

This started out as a re-do of my modification thread I started before I finally became elite. I couldn`t go back to it and post pictures so I wanted to redo it in style.

~~~~~~ TABLE OF CONTENTS ~~~~~~

This is a rough guide that may depend on your resolution!

PAGE 1:

-Intro
-Front license plate raised
-driving lights
-Stock picture
-Cone air filter
-CB and cheap glass mount antenna
-Wire mesh grille
-Front tow hooks install
-2"suspension lift + shocks

PAGE 2

-2"suspension lift + shocks cont`d
-Broken front lower shock mount remedy
-Addition of 31x10.5 tires
-Alignment woes
-Fire extinguisher added (with warning pics)
-Rear locker added (my initial thoughts)
-How I beat the "left side lean"
-My first real trip report with thoughts on truck perf.

PAGE 3:

-Body lift kit parts problems
-Canadian flag 3rd brake light
-2" Body lift install
-2" Body lift install cont`d
-Short lived front bumper gap filler (LOL)
-Rear bumper remount (2" higher)

PAGE 4:

-Rear bumper remount (2" higher) cont`d
-Front bumper remount (2" higher) (Tow hooks raised inside frame)
-Warrior shackles and rear shock mount skidplates
-Skid plate problems
-My first time towing a Jeep outta the mud
-Rear sway bar removal and upper shock mount mod
-Emergency brake cable mod #1

PAGE 5:

-More Warrior skidplate/shockmount problems noted
-Front splashguard (bumper to swaybar)
-Trip report; Vancouver Island
-Post trip thoughts
-Warrior skidplate shock mount breakage
-The amazing throttle cable mod!
-Hieght measurements to bottom of bumpers

PAGE 6:

-Info on wheel spacers
-Warrior comes through with proper plates
-Rear shock mounted to axle with old sway bar brackets
-Raised upper rear shock mounts
-I get the dumb idea to buy a bra
-The "Zimmerman" rear spring mod (I later regret)
-Front swaybar disconnects (cheap, didn`t work well)

PAGE 7:

-Emergency brake cable extension!
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers cont`d
-Custom exhaust (brand?)
-My first stuck!
-Wheeling thoughts and misdiagnosed problem
-Hippoliner on rockers (like herculiner)
-Replacing a rear shackle bushing with poly
-Starter problem troubleshooting, repair
-Note on premature corroding of battery cables for 91-94 Explorers

PAGE 8:

-Better front swaybar disconnects
-Dual battery setup!
-Dual battery setup! cont`d
-Fender trimming to fit 33s

PAGE 9

-Fender trimming to fit 33s (cont`d)
-I put my front driving lights in the back for reverse lights
-The 33s are on!
-Warrior shock relocation bracket mounts for rear lowers

PAGE 10

-Four foot antenna mount at rear corner
-Another trip report
-1 year anniversary
-I prove that I could possibly be crazy

PAGE 11

-Cheap fender flares
-Old Man Emu rear springs (OME-36)

PAGE 12

-I assume that I have reached a plateau!

PAGE 13
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff.

PAGE 14
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff. (cont`d)
-Rear towhook install

PAGE 15
-J-Clips to keep front coils from popping out at the top

LAST PAGE
-Link to rusty rocker panel repair
-Link to Solid Axle Swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who needs to work when you can read a 9 page post like this. Very inspiring, only wish I was a bit more mechanical to do a lot of those mods myself., specifically a suspension lift so I can fit 33s on.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks guys,
Hey it is not that hard, I practically did it all alone except the gears and locker, Just gotta find a way to have acces to all the tools. :D

FENDER FLARES

Okay I mentioned there was 4x4 traps being seen around where I live. Apparently it is more accurately a trap to catch large trucks, but they are pulling in lifted 4x4 vehicles as well.
I have been told that a "passenger vehicle" which is what I am classed as, cannot exceed a bumper hieght of 22 inches from ground to bottom of bumper. Well I`m 24 inches. I won`t try to lower them, but I thought at least I could make my truck look less like a violator, and hopefully avoid being measured.

[I am still finding out more about these laws, and I think If your bumper does exceed the height limit (some geek in an office has conjured up and fed to a room full old cronies who have okayed it) then it is grounds for an inspection order to be given, wherupon a test facility will test it as a "modified" rig. I don`t think it is ilegal to be higher, just that it will have to have a special inspection. I find so much different info that it is confusing.]

I cannot find a definite answer on how far my tires can stick out, it varies from 1&1/2 inches to nothing past the lip of the fender. "tiessen" from the board told me about some generic flares sold at Lordco, which is a local auto parts store.
I found these flares made by "Saddleman" which screw into the lips of your fenders. They cover my tires now, and don`t look that bad I guess. I would rather not have them at all but...
I got some mudflaps that were generic and put them on the rear, to further add to the look that everything is legal. LOL they really don`t do much, I`m afraid!

Rear:

Attachments

• fender flares (1).jpg
    fender flares (1).jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 1,956

They are on there really tight, with like 14 screws in each one. I had two drills going for the install, one for drilling, and then while holding the flare in place I put the screws in a magnetic bit I have, and screwed them in. After, I went over them with a screwdriver and loosened some, and tightened others to make it look as smooth as possible.

Front:

Attachments

• fender flares.jpg
    fender flares.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,939

Looking good, how about mass producing that antanna mount? I would love one of those.:D

I agree looking good. I can't wait to get mine.... soon? I'll e-mail ya.

carsonm

:D
I can`t even get it together long enough to make one for Carson lately!
It actually takes me a couple hours with all the fitting and messing around, wouldn`t be enough payoff to spend that much time at work.

Next Episode:

Old Man Emu rear leaf springs!
Mine are no good after the Zimmerman mod, The Ranger leafs are bent laterally, as I have mentioned.

one of the best posts i have seen...ever...motivates me!!!
everything i wanna do and more!!!:D

oh no... I started reading your post to see what was involved in putting 31x10.5's on my 94 ltd... Now I need to get a 2" lift and some sleep... Awesome work, dude... Truly inspiring!!! Can't wait to mod my X for next winter... You know it gets pretty bad here...:eek:

:D you`re new here, you can still break free before you become addicted!

Welcome to the single most greatest Explorer site on the net!

-"Winterpeg" (inside joke)

:D

OME-36 spring bushings

(thanks guys)

Well I have the springs but I made a mistake when I got the bushings to go with them. I just asked the 4x4 shop to get me a bushing set "for the springs".
So I ended up with a bushing set meant for a stock 93 Explorer spring.

What I had missed was the fact that these OME springs are actually designed to fit a 96 Ford Explorer!

The springs are of course interchangeable from a 96 to a 93, it is just that the eyes in the spring are larger up front, to accomadate a larger bushing.
The bushing at the rear of the truck is the same size. I don`t know when Ford went to a larger forward one, but I assume it was when they moved to the 2nd generation in `95.

I found that out by searching the site here and finding it talked about. Even though I read through those posts before It still didn`t click! :rolleyes:

Anyway, It looks like I will actually have to get the forward bushings from Ford because I can`t seem to find an aftermarket poly for some reason. When I think about it, a rubber one up front may be better after all.

I hope to get the bushings and do the install this weekend.

Okay, I got the Old man Emu springs on.

As I said, I ended up using poly bushing in the rearward side, and Stock ford bushings for the forward side. The forward bushing were ordered to fit a 96 Explorer.
I had to press them in myself, and I used a big vice and two big wrenches to assist. I wish I had a pic of that proccess, but I don`t.
The outside of the Ford bushings are not as wide as the inside is, near the metal sleeve, so I used the box end of one wrench that was big enough to push on the bushing without hitting the middle sleeved part. The other wrench`s box end was used to keep the other side of the sleeve from hitting the vice when it was pressed in.

The polys come in two pieces, and I used a mallet to bang them into place, and then used the mallet to bang the sleeves into the bushings.

Anyway, here`s some pics:

Attachments

• ome springs (2).jpg
    ome springs (2).jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,740

Gettin them on, no need to explain the process again ;)

Attachments

• ome springs (1).jpg
    ome springs (1).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,737

Big difference over my modded up stock ones. They compress easier, but in a graduated way, which is part of the design if you look at them closely. They aren`t as stiff, and don`t snap back when you hit bumps at higher speeds, which keeps you from going sideways. I went for a little run today, and I am happy with them, although they were expensive!

Attachments

• stave lo 2.jpg
    stave lo 2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 1,740

Jim,
That last pic is too awesome, must be nice to have such acool playground.

Originally posted by X-1
Jim,

Ah beautiful BC wouldn't live anywhere else.

Glad to see you got out today James, did you go alone? I'll go next time for sure.

carson

I can be at that playground in about 45 minutes! Half hour later I can get a pick like that :D

-Did go alone Carson,with the family. I actually fully explored that trail with the big ditch and the steep hill that I got up that time but didn`t check out. It actually has a great view of Stave from there and definitely will be less crowded. Here`s a pic from up there. Had virgin snow everywhere even to the main lookout!

Attachments

• stave apr03(2).jpg
    stave apr03(2).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,877

Well, I have reached a level that I think I will maintain for a while before doing anymore mods! There is stuff that I would really like to do, but maintenance is all I`m worried about right now. The biggest thing is my tranny seems to be acting up lately, not wanting to downshift into second without grinding like a *******, and going into reverse is almost a guaranteed grind. A couple times I heard a growl coming from down there at take off, which might mean my clutch is on the way out. I will definitely replace the clutch with something better when I do!

[edit] - I bled the clutch and am happy to say that my tranny is behaving much better, with only an occasional feeling of something catching when going to reverse-

I got broken into the other day and they buggered up my lock and stole my sub. I got the best alarm I could, basically pimped myself to the alarm installer and became his biotch. It was a good idea anyway, because of all the money I have put in it already.

If I look back, all I really think was NOT a good idea was the Zimmerman mod. Sometimes I wish I had went with 4.56 gears instead of my 4.10s but then I get on the freeway and like it. (but it is close!)

I`ll try to keep away from the mods anyway!

All costs in CDN funds !

Truck = $8500.00

Plasma white hid headlights = $39.96
Mini driving lights = $65.00
Filter adapter = $68.41**
K&N filter = $50.00
Window visors = $45.00
Cheap CB = $75.00
Antenna = $50.00
Tow hooks = $40.00
2" susp lift with shocks = $464.00 **
31x10.5 BFG T/A K/Os = $835.00