ld50 Explorer mods revisited | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ld50 Explorer mods revisited

Hello fellow Explorer enthusiasts.
If you want to jump to my solid axle swap thread click link below: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163210

If you start here you will see the mods to my Ex in cronological order as they happened, and as my own ideas and expectations were being formed. Some of my early mods led me into my SAS, and were essential to the process. There is a link to my solid axle swap at the end.

This started out as a re-do of my modification thread I started before I finally became elite. I couldn`t go back to it and post pictures so I wanted to redo it in style.

~~~~~~ TABLE OF CONTENTS ~~~~~~

This is a rough guide that may depend on your resolution!

PAGE 1:

-Intro
-Front license plate raised
-driving lights
-Stock picture
-Cone air filter
-CB and cheap glass mount antenna
-Wire mesh grille
-Front tow hooks install
-2"suspension lift + shocks

PAGE 2

-2"suspension lift + shocks cont`d
-Broken front lower shock mount remedy
-Addition of 31x10.5 tires
-Alignment woes
-Fire extinguisher added (with warning pics)
-Rear locker added (my initial thoughts)
-How I beat the "left side lean"
-My first real trip report with thoughts on truck perf.

PAGE 3:

-Body lift kit parts problems
-Canadian flag 3rd brake light
-2" Body lift install
-2" Body lift install cont`d
-Short lived front bumper gap filler (LOL)
-Rear bumper remount (2" higher)

PAGE 4:

-Rear bumper remount (2" higher) cont`d
-Front bumper remount (2" higher) (Tow hooks raised inside frame)
-Warrior shackles and rear shock mount skidplates
-Skid plate problems
-My first time towing a Jeep outta the mud
-Rear sway bar removal and upper shock mount mod
-Emergency brake cable mod #1

PAGE 5:

-More Warrior skidplate/shockmount problems noted
-Front splashguard (bumper to swaybar)
-Trip report; Vancouver Island
-Post trip thoughts
-Warrior skidplate shock mount breakage
-The amazing throttle cable mod!
-Hieght measurements to bottom of bumpers

PAGE 6:

-Info on wheel spacers
-Warrior comes through with proper plates
-Rear shock mounted to axle with old sway bar brackets
-Raised upper rear shock mounts
-I get the dumb idea to buy a bra
-The "Zimmerman" rear spring mod (I later regret)
-Front swaybar disconnects (cheap, didn`t work well)

PAGE 7:

-Emergency brake cable extension!
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers
-1 & 1/2 inch wheel spacers cont`d
-Custom exhaust (brand?)
-My first stuck!
-Wheeling thoughts and misdiagnosed problem
-Hippoliner on rockers (like herculiner)
-Replacing a rear shackle bushing with poly
-Starter problem troubleshooting, repair
-Note on premature corroding of battery cables for 91-94 Explorers

PAGE 8:

-Better front swaybar disconnects
-Dual battery setup!
-Dual battery setup! cont`d
-Fender trimming to fit 33s

PAGE 9

-Fender trimming to fit 33s (cont`d)
-I put my front driving lights in the back for reverse lights
-The 33s are on!
-Warrior shock relocation bracket mounts for rear lowers

PAGE 10

-Four foot antenna mount at rear corner
-Another trip report
-1 year anniversary
-I prove that I could possibly be crazy

PAGE 11

-Cheap fender flares
-Old Man Emu rear springs (OME-36)

PAGE 12

-I assume that I have reached a plateau!

PAGE 13
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff.

PAGE 14
-Detroit EZ locker install into my open front diff. (cont`d)
-Rear towhook install

PAGE 15
-J-Clips to keep front coils from popping out at the top

LAST PAGE
-Link to rusty rocker panel repair
-Link to Solid Axle Swap

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by ld50
Well, I have reached a level that I think I will maintain for a while before doing anymore mods!

Yeah yeah, like we haven't heard that one before :p

But seriously, congratulations on reaching a level of contentment with your mods. Your Ex is looking great

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I actually fully explored that trail with the big ditch and the steep hill that I got up that time but didn`t check out.
How was the rest of the trail? Would I make it if I got past the ditch? Which shackles did you end up using with your ome springs? Glad to hear your content....for now. :D

carson

Yeah yeah, like we haven't heard that one before

hehe, it was hard to write that, but I do need a break for now. I would of course enjoy more goodies!

Carson, I kept the War shackles on after all.

That trail isn`t really long, there is a side shoot that looks hard, but It seems like it ends quick. It might be better to make sure without snow, and maybe turning over a couple pointy rocks at the beginning of it.
Maybe I should drag you up the ditch next time! :D

With all the mods I lost track of height:confused: , where have you ended up as far as lift, and measurements?

Last I checked, I was about 24 inches from front bumper to ground, and more in the rear, I`ll have to measure again and see. The rear may actually be slightly higher than it was before the OMEs were put on, but I don`t think it is enough to need to shorten my shackles. I could change my mind tho`

:p

He, he,

OKAY, one more mod! Ahh heck, I shouldn`t have said anything!

I been looking at the truck, and starting to feel that the rear is just too high with both the OME-36 springs AND the War153 shackles. I decided I will shorten my Warrior shackles.
The OME`s definitely gave me more lift than the 2" add-a-leaves did, and it just has a little more rake than I was after.
I put some stock shackles on ( Thanks Carson!) so I can shorten the War ones at a later time. Interestingly enough, the stance is almost perfect now, with the rear fender lip about 1 inch higher than the front. I`m thinking when I mod the shackles it will only be about 1/2 an inch higher than that. Still a good thing that I got new shackles though, since mine were terribly rusty, and were due to be scrapped.

I`ll get some measurements after this is done....

Ah, laziness..

I finally prompted myself into shortening my WAR shackles a smidgeon.

The holes are now 7.5 inches apart, I shortened them an inch or so. In theory, I should have dropped about a 1/2 inch in the rear from the old WAR height. (or gained 1/2" or so over the stock shackles)

Anyway, I measure 37" to the center of my front fender lip and 38.5" to the rear fender lip. I`m huge baybee!

Seems to sit at a pleasing angle now..

I just bought a townhouse for me and my sweetheart, and guess what?

The garage is so tight a fit I may have to even take my roofracks off to get inside!
That settles any ideas about going higher with my station wagon that`s for sure.
And it restricts my cashflow from getting any big goodies I wanted, like the Atlas 2. But hey, I`m equity building!

I want to replace my Radius arm bushings soon, so I will get lots of pictures, and show it here. I plan to grind off the rivets.

I've never seen your truck before Id50. G*d Damn, man! It looks very nice. So, as of today the truck cost you $16744.14 ? :eek:

The pics don't do it justice, it's even nicer when you see it in person. Also the cost is Canadian eh! :D

Carson

Originally posted by X-factor
I've never seen your truck before Id50. G*d Damn, man! It looks very nice. So, as of today the truck cost you $16744.14 ? :eek:

Yes Canadian dollars, if it was US, I would have two Explorers now, or be very rich!
-Don`t forget the purchase price is included in the cost :)

And thanks x-factor, and carson too!
She is getting a little scratched and worn, but not enough for my camera to notice yet!

Hi ld50,

Nice rig.

I am thinking about getting the 33x10.5 tires cause I don't wanna pony up $$ for new rims. Do you wish you had gone for the 33x12.5 with new rims or are you fine with the 10.5's? Do you feel that it is at all less stable cause of the tall tires and smaller footprint?

Thanks

You know, I could have gotten wider tires even with my stock rims but I noticed that even with my 31 inch tires I had rubbing on the rear inside fender wells at full stuff, which increased with the Zimmerman leaf spring mod. I use 1.5 inch wheel spacers, which you would think would help, but I still have some rubbing right now. (*note, 1.5 inch spacers would equate to a 3 inch of backspace rim) The OME springs seem to give just as much stuff as the Zim mod and slightly less droop.
A wider tire at this point would rub more, I`m sure.

Since it is my daily driver, I don`t want to put any more stress on my bearings than I have too, and don`t want to be hassled by police because of my tires sticking out to far. Another pro for 10.5 is less rolling resistance on the street which helps gas mileage, and 10.5 = a lighter tire than 12.5.
I noticed much more stability when spacing my wheels out, which gave me alot more confidence on side hills and such. Having the mud terrains on there obviously gives me more traction than an all terrain tire. When I had my ATs on I noticed sometimes my tires would slip, or "scrabble" to get traction on flat rock, the mud terrains really work well for me, they grab everything.
I`m happy with the wheels just as they are at this point.

-Thanks for asking, good luck! I`ll try to answer any questions you have about my truck, so ask anytime.

Originally posted by Thorbolter
Who needs to work when you can read a 9 page post like this. Very inspiring, only wish I was a bit more mechanical to do a lot of those mods myself., specifically a suspension lift so I can fit 33s on.

:werd: i would save so much money :( i just dont have the time bein in college

im going to have my buddy who just graduated from an auto trade school do all my work :D

I like what you have done to it so far. It looks good. If you get a chance check out mine in my gallery. tell me what you think of it.

to both of you, nice rigs. mine is coming along...it looks really cool now but it needs mor height. thanx for the AALs ld50, i hope to get them on the truck soon/ i am waiting for my shackels to come in and some free time (and $150 for the alignment)

I like what you have done to it so far. It looks good. If you get a chance check out mine in my gallery. tell me what you think of it.

Tim, I didn`t notice the post till now, just kinda fell away from this thread!
Your truck looks good, kinda like mine? How does that winch fit in there, did you cut your bumper?

Anyway, cheers.

udmsvt, I finally got my corner on, can`t remember if I heard if you got the AAL`s on (?)

STATUS REPORT

Well the station wagon has been pretty good overall, haven`t done any more mods.

BUT, I needed a few things:

A new steering box and an alignment a couple weeks ago.
The box started leaking after muddin. Argh, I am supposed to not like muddin. I got the alignment because things started getting a little wonky up front.

My alternator crapped out last week so I upgraded to a 130 amp one.

That`s about all that`s been goin on with her.

Just read that whole thread...

I had no idea that you put so much effort into your truck. I think it looks really good :D The avitar doesnt do it justice.

Tim, I didn`t notice the post till now, just kinda fell away from this thread!
Your truck looks good, kinda like mine? How does that winch fit in there, did you cut your bumper?

Anyway, cheers.

udmsvt, I finally got my corner on, can`t remember if I heard if you got the AAL`s on (?)

naw, i had alot of repairs (steering box, master cyl, slave cyl, clutch, flywheel)...it put me in the poor house so i ended up selling the AAL and shackels to another board member. they basically didnt pay for the AAL, excdpt shipping but they also got new rancho bolts and new warrior shackels. i kinda gave up on the ex for now (runs good but no more fun for a while). how's the corner look?

Back