Leaking B&M drain plug(s) - ATF question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking B&M drain plug(s) - ATF question

holter95

Reaction score
City, State
MPLS, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Mountie V8 AWD
Installed 2 plugs last week in my trans pan (1 for drain, 1 ready for an oil temp sensor). One of the two I'm sure I overtightened - I torqued to spec but felt the plastic (nylon?) washer crush before I hit the suggested torque. Both are leaking from the outside threads.

Question: Would RTV have any adverse affect on Mercon ATF (or vice versa) if I used that to better seal up the drain plugs around the washer?

Had the same problem with my 99 trans pan. So, used red loctight on the under side of the large nut and substituted a 1/2" neoprene metal ring gasket for an engine oil pan bolt. Torqued the h#ll out of it.
The "plastic" gasket compresses too much.

I don't like any of those kits since they always leak. You could solder the nut to the pan, and use a drain plug with a drain plug seal. I have a thread on installing leak proof drain plugs. Check # 75 in my list of useful threads for more information: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206353

I bought and installed some 1/2" ID drain plug gaskets from O'Reilly's that are metal washers with rubber grommets. No leaks.

The old plastic gaskets were useless. When I removed them, I observed that if they are overtorqued in the least, they will leak (anything more than 10 ft-lbs in my opinion).

Back