slsmith

Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
stock '91 Eddie Baugher with 215k miles

Ok.
For the last couple of months I have had an oil leak which I tracked down to a bad valve cover gasket.
Now I still have a leak, but it does not appear to be oil. I have looked over my transmission with no luck finding anything. Yesterday when I started my rig I had a small backfire and as expected I blew a line off the vacuum tree. When replacing the vacuum line I discovered that it was a gooey mess and appears to have brake fluid in the tree. It seems to be leaking down over the valve cover and onto the exhaust.
I am assuming that I have issues with the master cylinder and maybe also the booster.
What do you think?

Thanks

Steve

stock '91 Eddie Baugher with 215k miles

Ok.
For the last couple of months I have had an oil leak which I tracked down to a bad valve cover gasket.
Now I still have a leak, but it does not appear to be oil. I have looked over my transmission with no luck finding anything. Yesterday when I started my rig I had a small backfire and as expected I blew a line off the vacuum tree. When replacing the vacuum line I discovered that it was a gooey mess and appears to have brake fluid in the tree. It seems to be leaking down over the valve cover and onto the exhaust.
I am assuming that I have issues with the master cylinder and maybe also the booster.
What do you think?

Thanks

Steve

You may have issues with your MC and booster, but I don't think that's where the fluid is coming from that you're finding on the vac tee...in fact, I can't think of how brake fluid could make it there, as there is no fluid transfer from the MC to the booster.

However, I do think there's a good chance your tranny vacuum modulator might be bad...when they go, they can leak tranny fluid up to the tee. Hope this helps.:usa:

So, what's the fluid level look like in the master cylinder?

Back