LED's in cupholder install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED's in cupholder install

Hey Bashman and others who are curious about installing LED's in the console. So here's a write up for the install.

1.) Purchase the LED's from AutoZone. It's $10 for a 3-pack. I believe there're 3 different colors--blue, white, and green.

2.) Locate a desire location for the LED's. Like mine, it's right in the middle of the cupholder

DSC01952a.jpg

3.) Drill 2 holes. One for each cupholder. If I can remember correctly, you use a 7/16" drill bit. The instructions from the box will tell you which one to use.

4.) They come with a little holder so it'll hold the LED's in place. Snap them in the hole along with the LED's.

5. Here's the hard part...wiring! For me, it was easy because I used the wires from the ashtray light. For the ones without the high-series console or owns '97 to '01 Explorers, it may be a lot harder to find the right wire to tap.

But anyways...for me, just tap the wires at the ashtray light. Red goes to red and black goes to black. It was that simple.

DSC01953a.jpg

Like I said, this applies to '95-'97 Explorers with the High-Series center console. Those of you without the ashtray light, you can tap into any switch's illumination wire and it'll work the same way.

Here's the finished product:

DSC01956a.jpg

There you go. If you guys have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate. :)

A special thanks to:
Carlton (Bmxboy) for the idea
Davo (Digger196) for showing me putting them in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lee S. said:
Just a follow-up on the install.

The LED's thru the hole in the cupholders were creating a kind of spotlight effect which was a bit much for me. The old age in me (yes I'm a year older than BBQ HotDogs in case you've read his thread) was more interested in seeing (finding) the cupholders in the dark than I was with a light show.
Lee
HEEYYY, I resemble that remark!! LOL Lee, you got any pics? I am also thinking about doint this OLD DUDE thing, LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry BBQ no pics:

The pics in the beginning of the thread on the installation are really all you need.

I would just point out a couple of things for us older guys who only want a little illumination in the dark:

The Leds from Autozone have a very focused light beam and they are very bright. I would definitely drill the hole(s) in the part of the cup holder that faces away from you (faces toward the dash/front of the car). You want the light shining away from you towards the front and not at you.

Because the beam is focused, when you install the Led in the drilled hole you will get a pretty intense "spot light" on the opposite side of the cup holder. I wasn't real happy with this "look" so I re-attached the Leds sideways over the drilled hole so the side (and not the tip) of the Led shines thru the hole. This way the light is more dispersed, less focused and less intense. Give just the right amount of light to let my aging eyes find the cup holders in the dark.

Good Luck

Lee

LOL, I was hoping to see how they looked at night. Are you able to take a night pic and send it to me? I will post it for you. I would like to compare the 2's brightness and stuff. I have a bunch of LED bulbs here. Got them in packages of 3. Was thinking of a way to use some of those up and this sounds pretty cool. Let me know, If you want to send me pics, I can pm you my private email.

You can insert the LED's in an angle so the light will be focused toward the bottom on the cupholder instead.

Is this some kit you bought at Autozone? I have never seen it before. So I will be starting from scratch on this project, but it sounds like it would be worth while. Yall keep talking about something that holds the bulbs. That is what I need. Then you connect the electrical to that. Simple enough, I even know where to tap for power, just need to know what parts to get and how it would look on the outcome. That is why I am hoping Lee has a night pic he can take and send me.

BBQ:

Allright...... I ain't promising anything but I'll see if I can take some pics. PM me your email address cause you gonna have to post them for me.

I'm looking right at an extra package of LEDs from Autozone. They're called L.E.D. Accent Lights made by Pilot. They come 3 in a package for $10.00. They are available in a couple of different colors and clear. They come with a tiny resistor already attached so you can sort of wire them in as is. The package I have here (and that I installed in the cupholders) are Green..... chosen to match the green lights on the dash. I also threw a pair of them under the dash.....one on each side of the console to light up the the floor a little bit. All of mine are connected to switches so I can turn them off when I want. So what should I be taking pics of?...... everything or just the cupholders?

These LEDs come with there own holders.....tiny little circular black plastic rings that go around the LED and snap into the hole you drill in the cupholders to hold the LED in place. I did not use these since I mounted mine sideways over the drilled hole instead of thru the hole using the holder.

PM me your email and let me know what pics you want and I'll see what I can do when it gets dark.

Lee

OK, we got pics from LeeS and here they are. After I post them for Lee he can come along and tell you all about them. I am gonna do something, just not exactly sure what yet. Now remember when you view these pictures, his LED bulbs are green. Great night time pictures Lee.

21512Cupholder_3-med.jpg

21512Cupholder_2-med.jpg

21512Cupholder_1-med.jpg

Dont quote me on this, but last time I saw em, RadioShack had like those grab bags of LED's. Like 10 of them for a few dollars, and they can also get you the resisters you need. Its like 10 LED's for $3 instead of 3 LED's for $10. And resisters are only like 12-15 cents a piece.

Just my $.02

I went to AutoZone last night just for some LED's. Nothing in site here. Any suggestions on finding those?

Hey guys just a side note if you want cheaper go to radio shack pick up a few LED's and some 2.2K resitors wire them in paralell and put a tap on your 12V to the cigarette lighter. The resistors are 14 cents each and the led's are 80 cents each and then use a toggle to turn them on and off or find a power source that is on with the headlights or if you want go tap the wire that comes out of the headligts or the dimmer and then you can dim them.

Back