LED's in cupholder install | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED's in cupholder install

Hey Bashman and others who are curious about installing LED's in the console. So here's a write up for the install.

1.) Purchase the LED's from AutoZone. It's $10 for a 3-pack. I believe there're 3 different colors--blue, white, and green.

2.) Locate a desire location for the LED's. Like mine, it's right in the middle of the cupholder

DSC01952a.jpg

3.) Drill 2 holes. One for each cupholder. If I can remember correctly, you use a 7/16" drill bit. The instructions from the box will tell you which one to use.

4.) They come with a little holder so it'll hold the LED's in place. Snap them in the hole along with the LED's.

5. Here's the hard part...wiring! For me, it was easy because I used the wires from the ashtray light. For the ones without the high-series console or owns '97 to '01 Explorers, it may be a lot harder to find the right wire to tap.

But anyways...for me, just tap the wires at the ashtray light. Red goes to red and black goes to black. It was that simple.

DSC01953a.jpg

Like I said, this applies to '95-'97 Explorers with the High-Series center console. Those of you without the ashtray light, you can tap into any switch's illumination wire and it'll work the same way.

Here's the finished product:

DSC01956a.jpg

There you go. If you guys have any questions or comments, please don't hesitate. :)

A special thanks to:
Carlton (Bmxboy) for the idea
Davo (Digger196) for showing me putting them in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Lee S.
Hey 96explorereddiebauer:

What color LED's did you use in the cupholders? In your write-up they look green but in the pic with water bottles they look blue. I was thinking of doing this and was just wondering what color to buy.

Lee

The LED's are white. The reason why it appeared blue is because of the bottle of Dasani water.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Originally posted by wired_af
Whoa...$10 for 3 LEDs?!?!

Yup. Don't know if Autozone sells them anymore.

you can use the fuse box also, just use resistors or the LEDS WILL blow eventually =)

He's right. The ones I bought came with the resistors in-line with the wire so I don't have to worry about that.

I have green ones from autozone in mine. They give off good light and were easy to install.

Installed the Autozone LEDs today. One in each cupholder and one in that little slot (I think it's for a cell phone) in the console. Put in the green LED's to match the green factory lighting on the dash. Tapped off the illumination wire going to the rear heat and radio controls. They come on with the rest of the interior lights whenever the the headlights are turned on and they can also be dimmed with the dimmer switch. I also hooked them up to a switch so I can turn the LED's off if I want to.

The LED's give off more light than I thought they would. Glad I only put one in each cupholder. It nice to be able to see the console in the dark. Before I could not see the console at all without turing on the interior light or driving under a street lamp.

Glad I did this mod. Many thanks to '96explorereddiebauer for his write-up and help.

Lee

i found some at shuck's today 4LED's for 24 buck's gonna get them after i get payed

Just a follow-up on the install.

The LED's thru the hole in the cupholders were creating a kind of spotlight effect which was a bit much for me. The old age in me (yes I'm a year older than BBQ HotDogs in case you've read his thread) was more interested in seeing (finding) the cupholders in the dark than I was with a light show. I found that pulling the LED's from their little holders and attaching them so the side of the LED goes over the back side of drilled hole instead of directly into it creates a more dispersed mellow illumination and gets rid of the 'spotlight'. It allows me to locate the cupholers in the dark without the need for a spotlight shining in them.

Originally I taped the wires (directly underneath the LED bulb) to the backside of the cupholder so the bulb was directly over the drilled hole. When I found that I liked this effect better I purchased some self adhesive mini wire clips from Radio Shack. You can use these to permanently secure the LED in place. I found that the wire clips will actually hold the LED bulb.

So if you're an old fart like me and just need some light to locate your cupholders in the dark you may want to try this.

Lee

By the way, why is this thread in the 'Offroad Explorer Projects' forum. Shouldn't it be in 'Performance Lighting'? Cupholder lights seem more about lighting than they do about offroad projects.

Lee

That's great. :) As I started to read this I was wondering why... but fortunately you included a pic and I am swayed. Though I am disappointed in your selection of fake water (Poland Spring or Bust), I did like how it lit them up.

Questions
- condensation issues/shorting?
- impact of space to only house lesser sized drinks or is it so minimal it's not an issue?
- any loss in HP? heh Some of us need all we can get.

Creative mod - good show.

P.S. IMHO, it could be in either thread. I see it as a safety issue too... nothing worse than offroading at night and having to fumble to get/find your water bottle.. so if you can use this lighting to see it, it becomes an offroad safety mod?! :) (Ok, its late and I thought I'd reach on that one.)

Well sometimes my HP magically seems to increase when I have a couple of empty beers in them cupholders.

As far as impact on space and condensation, neither is an issue if you attach them to the backside of the hole rather than directly into the hole. Actually, i don't think either is an issue if you put them in the hole the way '96explorereddiebauer write-up says. These LED are tough little critters that give off almost no heat and last forever (I have one green one left that I'm gonna use in my Headlight switch so I never have to take the dang dash off again). The space they take up is minimal.

Lee

Good point.. yes, I am considering doing that and was input from the honorable gentleman.

Another consideration was doing two diff colors:
a) so that my co-pilot doesn't get confused
b) in case I'm drinking two diff drinks

Another mod - base weight sensor so it only lights up when there's no weight on it for easier location/placement after you take that drink. :D

And my final midnight madness ! What an idea...
rip out that damn CD changer in the center arm rest AND..
Put in a thick beverage bladder with a tap coming out the front so you (or preferably your co-pilot) can tap your own drink! HEH I think I should take that idea to Ford. Naturally, it would be of your favorite NON-ALCOHOLIC beverage, therefore we're not all asking Rick to edit our logins to DWI_<current ID here> but I digress...

OK, with that weighted base idea, my last thought - if with the tap installed, once it detects lack of weight, it automatically refills the cup by engaging the tap, much like that lil rinse cup configuration by your local dentist's chair. :D LMAO
If I was really bored, I'd do something in photoshop but this week has been one hell of a month and I'm surprised I'm still awake as it is. :p

... and with this mind, this is why I'm afraid to be alone when the lights go out. ;)

Like what Lee said about the LED's. These lights uses very very very very little power so they don't rob any horsepower at all. It doesn't take a lot of space. When I first installed it, the LED's stuck out above the surface but the drinks eventually pushed them back flush witht he surface of the sides so space isn't much of a deal. There shouldn't be any condensation problem. Just try not to get them wet. I'm 99% sure that water will not kill anything. I spilled a cup of coffee into the cupholder at night and really made a mess, including the lights and they are still working fine. I hope I answered your questions.

When this was written, the forum wasn't "Offroad Projects." It was just "Projects" and it included almost anything so that is why this thread is here. I guess the mods overlooked and didn't move it to the Performance Lighting forum.

Originally posted by sunbum
Good point.. yes, I am considering doing that and was input from the honorable gentleman.

Another consideration was doing two diff colors:
a) so that my co-pilot doesn't get confused
b) in case I'm drinking two diff drinks

Another mod - base weight sensor so it only lights up when there's no weight on it for easier location/placement after you take that drink. :D

And my final midnight madness ! What an idea...
rip out that damn CD changer in the center arm rest AND..
Put in a thick beverage bladder with a tap coming out the front so you (or preferably your co-pilot) can tap your own drink! HEH I think I should take that idea to Ford. Naturally, it would be of your favorite NON-ALCOHOLIC beverage, therefore we're not all asking Rick to edit our logins to DWI_<current ID here> but I digress...

OK, with that weighted base idea, my last thought - if with the tap installed, once it detects lack of weight, it automatically refills the cup by engaging the tap, much like that lil rinse cup configuration by your local dentist's chair. :D LMAO
If I was really bored, I'd do something in photoshop but this week has been one hell of a month and I'm surprised I'm still awake as it is. :p

... and with this mind, this is why I'm afraid to be alone when the lights go out. ;)

Heh...why not install a keg in the cargo area with a dispenser in the armrest concealed so people won't notice it.

Not a bad idea, but you're losing storage for tailgating materials (I know that may be a concept that PA has perfected and hasn't caught on down south yet ;) )or shagging space (unnh.. no additional comment).

Still, I like the way you think. ;)

I've always wanted to add an extra wiper fluid pump and resevoir. Then fill the resevoir with your favorite beverage and run a hose to the glove box. When you hit a switch, you can fill up your glass.:D

This thread has gone from cupholders to cup fillers in a very short time.

Lee

I have the cup lights they work great.

Now I need a cup filler?? Yet another weekend mod I have learned from this site. But I have one question regarding the cup filler. What if you like your favorite beverage cold? You would have to have some type of cooling device attracted to the "beverage filler".

Naturally it would come from a cooler or one of those lighter powered refrigerators in the back. :)

you guys need to learn to go to radio shack for LED's. 10 bucks is insane

Back