Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift for 3rd gen - Coilsprings.com

I'm limited height wise, because I park underground at work. So on the rear of the truck is my only option, and to be honest , it's the one I like best anyway.
I'll make sure to fire up some photos when I get it done in the next couple weeks.

haha.. you don't mind if I call you MiniMe from now on do you? :p:

Your truck does look like Dr Evil's. :D

I was thinking about your rear mounted tire rack. What if instead of running from the hitch to the hinge and back to the hitch, you bolt a section under the right side of the bumper-hinge it at that point-and lock the swing away area into the hinge assembly. Confused, I might explain it better by drawing it in Autocad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, I'm not quite sure where you're going there...
The hinge isn't anywhere near the hitch, I'm going to be coming out from the hitch, then going up to a solid bar that covers the rear bumper of the truck, then the swing arm will attach to the main bar. with a pivot on one side, and will lock on the other.
Of course with reinforcements all around.
Pretty much like this, though I was thinking of having my swing arm mounted above the main bar, not infront of it.

main.php
+

I'm up for suggestions, just not quite sure what you meant I guess.
But I don't plan on drilling through the body work or bumper covers.

yeah, I'm not quite sure where you're going there...
The hinge isn't anywhere near the hitch, I'm going to be coming out from the hitch, then going up to a solid bar that covers the rear bumper of the truck, then the swing arm will attach to the main bar. with a pivot on one side, and will lock on the other.
Of course with reinforcements all around.
Pretty much like this, though I was thinking of having my swing arm mounted above the main bar, not infront of it.

main.php
+

I'm up for suggestions, just not quite sure what you meant I guess.
But I don't plan on drilling through the body work or bumper covers.

I was thinking of eliminating the bar that is attached to the hitch. Instead the hinge is mounted in the same location but is attached to a piece that wraps under the bumper and attaches to the frame underneath. As it is shown in the picture above there are three loose/weak points: Were the assembly fits in the hitch receiver, the hinge, and were you connect back to when it is closed. By eliminating the connection at the hitch, you eliminate one area to rattle or wear out. I was thinking the receiver of the hitch would make a good area to lock into when in the close position.

Yeah, I'd rather it was less of a permanent fixture than that I think.
She'll be sturdy though, I'm not planning on just mounting to the hitch receiver, but also clamping on either side to the hoops off of the receiver.

We'll see, I'll keep ya up to date on the progress.

I take it you don't do much towing then, my '04 always has my tandem trailer on da back
Scotty

I take it you don't do much towing then, my '04 always has my tandem trailer on da back
Scotty

Yeah, I don't worry about towing at all.
I was pretty pissed to find out that U-haul won't even rent us a trailer with this truck.

But this will be removable, so if I really need to tow something, I'll just take it off.

Why not, I've frequently towed trailers weighing 3000kg's (6600lbs) and at times have towed 4500kg's (9900lbs) including a 3.5ton excavator. Our maximum legal weight is 2700kg's (6000lbs) but I believe that the factory hitch at least our Aussie ones are far underrated.
Scotty

Yeah, I don't worry about towing at all.
I was pretty pissed to find out that U-haul won't even rent us a trailer with this truck.

But this will be removable, so if I really need to tow something, I'll just take it off.

Why not, I've frequently towed trailers weighing 3000kg's (6600lbs) and at times have towed 4500kg's (9900lbs) including a 3.5ton excavator. Our maximum legal weight is 2700kg's (6000lbs) but I believe that the factory hitch at least our Aussie ones are far underrated.
Scotty

Some BS from uhaul... I said, ok look up the same year of mounty in your computer, "no problem" they said, but "if you show up with an explorer we can't rent to you".

freakin idiots.

they couldn't give me a straight answer as to why... just that there computer said no, and all they do is check the U-haul website.

I just ordered 2.25" up front!!!!

SHIP ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

It'll take probably a month or so for you to get them.
Make sure you put up some pics when you're done.
You're only doing the fronts?

Ben

If you go with the Quick Lift for the rear, my two slightly used are available @ 2" lift.

You're only doing the fronts?

Yea.

Here's the thing, I just had to replace the rears about 3 months ago and went with stock Ford parts, so it was obviously an expensive replacement. They had a chunk missing right at the top, and I drive mine fairly hard so I decided to get them replaced.

As of right now my rear is sitting at least a full inch higher than other stock 03 Explorers you see on the road... it actually looks lifted at first glance.

I know Jutgin lifted 2.5" up front and said that made him feel like he needed to raise the back. And another dude thought 2" wasn't enough... so I went with the middle ground!

Some BS from uhaul... I said, ok look up the same year of mounty in your computer, "no problem" they said, but "if you show up with an explorer we can't rent to you".

freakin idiots.

they couldn't give me a straight answer as to why... just that there computer said no, and all they do is check the U-haul website.

I was told that they got sued too many times for ruined transmissions. I just went and picked it up with my friends truck. Dropped if off with the Explorer.:D

Yeah, I figure that's what I'll do if I ever need one again. :thumbsup:

Ben

coilsprings.com is pretty slow...

I ordered the set on June 16... I just called today and they expect to have them shipped out July 28th.

coilsprings.com is pretty slow...

I ordered the set on June 16... I just called today and they expect to have them shipped out July 28th.

it's a completely custom made product. What were you expecting???????

Try ordering a holster from Milt Sparks they currently have a 28 week back log.

CS is 4-6 weeks. You can ask for a rush, but you pay $$ for that... and now it takes longer because they are in demand thanks to the Godfather Bigapple :) You'll be pleased when they arrive :)

A pic of new v old tyre size

Only just noticed this - are they BA Mk2 XR6 rims? Are they strong enough for the Ex?

The wife's runs Mk1 XR6 rims, they seem to have as much metal as the OEM jobbies. The '05 is really only out troop carries, the towing gets done with my '04, which I'll get some of your hub adapters shortly so I can fit some bigger rubber.
Scotty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had my front coilsprings installed today.... I think it looks amazing. My front end is up just enough. It looks real good.

I ordered 2.25" springs... however I measured 32.8" from road to top of wheel well before the install. Now i measure at about 34.2". So in reality, in the wheel well i only got about 1.6" of lift instead of 2.25"

I am no car expert... so maybe I am missing something? Is that right?

Back