Lift Tires and the Works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Tires and the Works

I just bought my Explorer about a month ago and already have ambitions of building it up. I have a friend with a 91 Ranger and that is where I got to build up bug. This is my first time posting on this website and so I just had a few questions about upgrading my 94 Sport. First of all, I was wondering if it would be better to run 33 inch tires or 35 inch? What would be the difference in gas mileage with these size tires? I was a bit concerned about putting too much stress on the running gear if I rolled with the 35's.
Secondly, is there any particular lift you guys would recomend?? So far I have only really found to that would work and that is the Superlift 5.5 inch and a Tough Country 4 inch.
I also plan on modifying the motor to get a little more power out of it to compensate for the larger tires. Any recommendation on MAF sensors or Throttle Bodies?? What works what doesn't work??? And finally would some taller gears be necessary for the 33 or 35 inch tires?? I am pretty sure I have the 3.73 rear end but I haven't checked yet. Any tips would be great. Thanks a lot.

Dan

if 33 or 35s...gears will be needed.... i would go 35s from the start...if you get 33s youll love them for awhile but will eventually want bigger.... 33 and 3.73 gears will work but city mileage will be horrible....get 4.56 and use them with either tire...do a 4" lift and get perry's fiberglass fenders to clear 35s :)

What he said.

Damn, Jim, I can't believe I agree with you 100%.:eek: :D

How about gas milage with the 35 inch tires?? What could I expect? Also, how would the taller gears affect the milage? I know it is a tradeoff I am going to have to take but I am just curious as to what I can expect. Finally, do the 35 inch tires put any excessive wear and tear on the drive train? I have a friend with a 91 Ranger and 32 inch swampers....he seems to have problems with the wheel bearings. Anyways, thanks for the great advice!

Dan

Back