Liftgate glass hinges on an '04 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate glass hinges on an '04

my hinges broke today :-(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, just had to do this. Hinges were $72 from Ford and they were in stock - Hmmmmm, I wonder why..... Total time was about an hour to fix EXCEPT my washers where rotten and cracked. The kit doesn't come with new washers so back to the dealer hoping they have them. The parts guy didn't even have to look the number up. Cost for two tiny washers - $8.50!!!!! Ouch! Went home and repair was easy as pie. As for breaking the glass, I don't really care if it broke - I have full glass with no deductible.:D

Welp, the real reason I posted this was about the washers. The part number, if you need it, is d7fz*6440610*a. I recommend you get the washers since they aren't just flat pieces. These are sleeved jobbers that fit through the glass and help a bit with alignment and I imagine they help protect the glass a bit from the bolt.

my '04 hinges are about ready to go, very hard to close now. fleabay looks like an option, i'll check with the dealer because i also need those rubber stops, and from the sound of it those way over priced washers, The rubber stop on top never stayed in and i wonder if thats the 'root' problem, maybe it placed to much stress on the hinges without them? Anyone? Dealer parts heck its all 1000% markup.

This might be worth reporting to DOT, not that it will do anything but this seems like a safety issue with the glass everywhere. Maybe someone else down the road my benefit.

fixed my glass easy fix if u got help.

I used the part number listed here about a month ago and and was able to pick these up at my local dealer. They had it in stock and was less than the price on Ebay mostly due to saving on shipping. I had my wife lend a hand and did this fix myself not hard and very happy I took my time. Looks and operates like new now.

i need to know if ford dealer are recalling 04 tailgate hinges because i have one the two hinge is broken and also cover on bottom of the glass is crack too need to if ford dealer recalling that too

We are on our own Crazyhorse. No recall on either, only TSBs.

my '04 hinges are about ready to go, very hard to close now. fleabay looks like an option, i'll check with the dealer because i also need those rubber stops, and from the sound of it those way over priced washers, The rubber stop on top never stayed in and i wonder if thats the 'root' problem, maybe it placed to much stress on the hinges without them? Anyone? Dealer parts heck its all 1000% markup.

This might be worth reporting to DOT, not that it will do anything but this seems like a safety issue with the glass everywhere. Maybe someone else down the road my benefit.

Hello to all:
Hunnys '04 Explorer rear hatch hinge gave it up today. We werent home(of course) when it happened so we got the hatch shut and left. The "screw" goes through the glass broke. Got it home and monkeyed around with it and got a 1/4" bolt with washers through glass and threaded into hinge. Hopefully that keeps things lined up as they should be and gets me alitltle additional time to get things figured out.
Going to call local stealership in the morning for prices, but i imagine i will order from ebay($$$$)? What are the rubber stops and washers? Can they be bought through Ford without rediculous $$$? Are they something i can order through Mcmastercarr? Thanks for any info...:chug:

My hinge is in bad shape and could break anytime. I noticed it because it seemed the rear hatch was having a hard time closing. I am wondering if this might also be why I am getting the door ajar message. Thoughts?

My hinge is in bad shape and could break anytime. I noticed it because it seemed the rear hatch was having a hard time closing. I am wondering if this might also be why I am getting the door ajar message. Thoughts?

Don't know if the rear glass hinges can cause a "door ajar" issue, but if they break apart and that glass breaks, you are looking at a pricey fix. Those rear windows are expensive. These hinges are known to go bad and a new pair cost around $50 depending on where you find them. Try Ebay for starters..

Back