Solved - Lifts and Max tire sizes | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Lifts and Max tire sizes

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Lift and tire size info for explorers

Lifts and max tire and wheel sizes for explorers
This is a quick reference guide I have put together based on information gathered from the Explorer Forum. Remember this is just a guide. You may have to do some fender trimming to fit these tires on your explorer. Others things can change what size tire you can run on your explorer. Like fiberglass fenders, rim width and rim backspacing.. I figured this would help some of you that were pondering what size lift to run what size tires.If anyone would like to add something go ahead and post it and I will add it to my list. If any of the moderators could make this a sticky that would be great. Hope this helps.

91-94 explorers.
No lift- 31x10.50x15 on 15x8 inch or stock (15x7) rims
1-2 inch suspension lift- 31x10.50x15 - 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rims/ may require some extensive fender trimming
2-3 inch suspension lift- 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rims
3-4 inch suspension lift- 32x11.50x15 - 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims/ may require fender trimming
4-6 inch suspension lift- 33x12.50x15 - 35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims/ may require fender trimming
2 inch body lift- 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rims/ may require fender trimming
3 inch body lift- 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rims/ may require fender trimming
2 inch body lift and 1-2 inch suspension lift- 32x11.50x15 - 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
2 inch body lift and 2-3 inch suspension lift- 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 inch rim
2 inch body lift and 4-6 inch suspension lift – 35x12.50x15 – 36x12.50x15 on 15x 8 rim/ may require fender trimming
3 inch body lift and 1-2 inch suspension lift – 32x11.50x15 – 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
3 inch body lift and 2-3 inch Suspension Lift – 33x12.50x15 – 35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim
3 inch body lift and 4-6 inch Suspension lift – 35x12.50x15 – 36x12.50x15 on 15x8 inch rim

95-2001 (including 2dr 95 - present)
No lift- 31x10.50x15 on 15x8 rim or stock (15x7) rim
1-2 inch suspension lift - 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require some extensive fender trimming
4 inch suspension – 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim
2 inch body lift – 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rim
3 inch body lift – 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
2 inch body lift and 1-2 inch suspension lift – 32x11.50x15 – 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
2 inch body lift and 4 inch suspension lift - 33x12.50x15 – 35x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
3 inch body lift and 1-2 inch suspension lift – 33x12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming
3 inch body lift and 4 inch suspension lift – 33x12.50x15 – 35.12.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require fender trimming.

You may be able to run 33x10.50x15s inplace of 32x11.50x15s

2002-2005 Ford Explorers
Click here for lift option #1
Click here for lift option #2
No lift - 32x10.50 or equivelent in Metric Measurements on Stock Wheels (265/75/R16 or 265/70/R17) - no modification needed!

Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O,k, I've read 22 pages, and can't find my answer. I have a 98 eddie buar 4.0 Sohc did the 3 in body lift. Have 3/8 stock being machined into shackles with 1-3/4 and in 2.5 in lift eye holes for leaf. Hope to get 2 in from ( L ) rated Torsion bars., " will get longer adjuster bolt if needed ". Now will this give me clearence for 33/12.50- 15's. Presently have 265/70r16. Wheel wells are currently 34 in from ground., Thanks.

every truck will be different. i had to trim my fenders a little bit with my 3'' body and a little bit of TT... but now they fit. so my answer is PROBABLY. but if not, GET OUT THE GRINDER :D

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Tire size...

O,k, I've read 22 pages, and can't find my answer. I have a 98 eddie buar 4.0 Sohc did the 3 in body lift. Have 3/8 stock being machined into shackles with 1-3/4 and in 2.5 in lift eye holes for leaf. Hope to get 2 in from ( L ) rated Torsion bars., " will get longer adjuster bolt if needed ". Now will this give me clearence for 33/12.50- 15's. Presently have 265/70r16. Wheel wells are currently 34 in from ground., Thanks.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67200&highlight=max+tire+size

They sure will! Just search max tire size...

Thank's for the info very helpful..I called the alignment shop today to get a price he said 80.00 but since I'm gonna lift it 2in "hopefully" he said it might be more cuase he might have to make mods to compensate for my lift. Does this sound right ??????. And if so what mods, can't he shim it out ??.

Thank's for the info very helpful..I called the alignment shop today to get a price he said 80.00 but since I'm gonna lift it 2in "hopefully" he said it might be more cuase he might have to make mods to compensate for my lift. Does this sound right ??????. And if so what mods, can't he shim it out ??.

im assuming he is talking about the tt? he may have to put in a new cam kit that can get a better alignment, the new cams would have more + and - degrees of adjustment than stock ones... because it is possible without them that the stock ones could be adjusted all the way and tires still be like /-o-\
my cam kit i got from napa was about 50 bucks both sides.... i went ahead and threw them in there when i did my upper control arm/balljoints...i can dig up the part numbers if your interested....

Yes thank's been doing some reseach and I see what you mean. I could use those part numbers. Do they actually seat with the ball joints, wondering if new ball joints are a must.Never was fond of trying to get the old ones out when I worked on the line but that was over ten years ago,,,lol. But anyway thank's for the help..,Keith

Dohhhh,,,lol. I'm looking at the Auto Zone repair diagram and see the Cams are in the control arm mounting bolts.

Yes thank's been doing some reseach and I see what you mean. I could use those part numbers. Do they actually seat with the ball joints, wondering if new ball joints are a must.Never was fond of trying to get the old ones out when I worked on the line but that was over ten years ago,,,lol. But anyway thank's for the help..,Keith

Dohhhh,,,lol. I'm looking at the Auto Zone repair diagram and see the Cams are in the control arm mounting bolts.

yea they're a ***** to get out... so if your upper control arms/ball joints are original, now is the time to replace... they went up a little from 25 to 27 bucks PER SIDE you will need 2 if you do it
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...iption=Camber+/+Caster+Kit+-+Front+Suspension

Think I found the Cam kit part at Napa #NCP 2642979 Drive Trains : Four Wheel Drive
Comments: Camber/Caster;From 0 To Plus Or Minus 1 3/4 Degrees Of Change;

Also just found one with 2-1/4 Degrees of change at Napa

This sounds like it will give me the amout of neg/pos camber needed..Am I right ?. Gonna buy it tommorow my shackles will be done at the machine shop tommorow. ,,Keith

Think I found the Cam kit part at Napa #NCP 2642979 Drive Trains : Four Wheel Drive
Comments: Camber/Caster;From 0 To Plus Or Minus 1 3/4 Degrees Of Change;

Also just found one with 2-1/4 Degrees of change at Napa

This sounds like it will give me the amout of neg/pos camber needed..Am I right ?. Gonna buy it tommorow my shackles will be done at the machine shop tommorow. ,,Keith

the link to the cams up there ^^^^ is exactly what i have in my truck right now

Cool I'm gonna get the 2-1/4 in they come with hardware for 27 a set.. Thank's a million, you've been a very big help to my wallet,,,lol. Thank's.,Keith

Well it's a done deal,,,,almost,,,lol

Well picked up my shackles from the machine shop,and my cam kit at 3 pm. Just couldn't wait,,,lol. So I got the cams in ,did the tt twist thank god I got my 2 in even with "L" rated softy bars,,,lol. Put my shackles on I made them overall length 9 in of 3/8 steel stock made my holes to increase distance to eyelet 1-3/4 and 2.5 in +. .I carry my tools and weight in the back "I'm a contractor" fiqured it would even out at the worst a little rise in the back. But damm if it didn't come out dead even, great but like I said I carry weight in the back and wanted a slight rise by an inch. Now I geuss I'm gonna have to get the AL's. But at least it's almost a done deal. Now I want to throw some 33/12.50 on 15/8 rims. Oh yea and off to the alignment shop tommorow. But I gotta tell ya thank's to this site I don't have to suffer anymore tweaking everything in the woods on the ground when I'm hunting and fishing. This is the only truck I owned I didn't lift cause I was told by the shops can't do it. All I have to say is "GET ER DONE",,,LOL Thank's guys and to the site it's a sweat truck now.:D

Finally done,,!!!!!!!

:D O,k, today I put in my ADL's, combined with my custom shackles I now have 6.5 in in back 5 in front. 3in BL and 2in TT the angle is perfect just a slight rise in the rear almost not noticeable but looks a lot better then the stock sag. Got my alignment yeaterday after replacing both tie rods, both lower BJ's ,both upper control arms and sway bar links. I put on 33/12.50's Dunlop AT on a 15 in chrome rim. Had to remove running boards and sawzall the inner frt wheel well for turning clearance. Now it's all nice and tight and beefed up for mudding

test for photo

:salute:

'99 explorer 2nd gen
if i do a 2" Add a leaf, 2" torsion twist and wheel spacers front & back.
Can i fit 33x10.5x16 's ? (i prefer higher tires over wider tires)
Can i do this without trimming?
Do i have to change gearing?

Thanks.

'99 explorer 2nd gen
if i do a 2" Add a leaf, 2" torsion twist and wheel spacers front & back.
Can i fit 33x10.5x16 's ? (i prefer higher tires over wider tires)
Can i do this without trimming?
Do i have to change gearing?

Thanks.

I don't know much about the 2nd gens, but I can tell you with my 02 Sport, I would have needed a plasma cutter to fit my 33's with only an AAL/TT. You need to keep in mind that the biggest reason higher clearance is needed is to prevent rubbing in the front. Sorry I couldn't answer the question, but I wanted to try and remind people of that fact.

Lookin to put bigger kicks on my rig

I have a 2004 2wd ranger reg cab short bed 4cyl 5spd you know a typical auto parts store truck.It currently has 225/70/15's on 6inch rims with 3-3/4 backspacing. I would like to put the largest tire possible on it with no lift and using stock wheels and no rubbing. I'd like to use 31/10.50's because I own them already but I'm thinking I'm asking alot, plus I'd like them to hang out of the wheel wells as little as possible. Question two, how do I reprogram my electric speedo?

Help!

Hi Everyone and thank you for reading. I am currently looking to buy an 08 LimitedV6. These come with P235/65R18 Stock on it. I need to use the SUV on the beach in the summer but need a minimum tire size of P255/55R18. Does anyone have any recomendations on what I should do. I am not looking to "lift" this Explorer or do any mods, I just need bigger tires on it. I sent TownFairTire.com a question and asked about 255/55R18 Pirelli Scorpion ATR’s being put on. The answer I got back was I dont know.. would need to test first. I found this forum and decided who better to ask than people that own Explorers! So if anyone has any advise could you please help me out and let me know if a bigger tire size would work on that SUV!

Thanks again,
Greg

Hi Everyone and thank you for reading. I am currently looking to buy an 08 LimitedV6. These come with P235/65R18 Stock on it. I need to use the SUV on the beach in the summer but need a minimum tire size of P255/55R18. Does anyone have any recomendations on what I should do. I am not looking to "lift" this Explorer or do any mods, I just need bigger tires on it. I sent TownFairTire.com a question and asked about 255/55R18 Pirelli Scorpion ATR’s being put on. The answer I got back was I dont know.. would need to test first. I found this forum and decided who better to ask than people that own Explorers! So if anyone has any advise could you please help me out and let me know if a bigger tire size would work on that SUV!

Thanks again,
Greg

Here's something to consider. 255/55r18s are technically 29 inch tires, so the biggest thing you need to look at is your front wheelwell diameter to insure that if you get those tires, they will be able to turn without any rubbing. The rear wheelwells should be able to work swimmingly, at least if they are anywhere at all close to the size of Sports. Obviously the biggest reason we lift is to clear larger tires, so that's what you need to examine first. Sorry for not being more helpful, I just got done cruising Google, and couldn't find jack on the 08 suspension system, but keep in mind about TT (not sure if 08 has torsion bars) thats an easy way to gain a little and get a lot. Let us know your dimensions and systems, and we'll be off to the races.

EDIT: All right, sorry, I just did the calculations and realized you're actually going with smaller diameter tires with a wider base. The issue stands though, rubbing is what the issue is, so that's what you need to look at to see how it looks when your tires are full left/right on stock tires, and go from there. I just found this site https://www.web2carz.com/ford/explorer/2008/4dr-all-wheel-drive-limited/USB80FOS103D0 so the guys who are better at this stuff than I am will be able to decipher this better than I can.

Back