Limited seat wont work in Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited seat wont work in Eddie Bauer

Andy G

Reaction score
City, State
Southaven Ms
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
Maybe you guys can give me some ideas.

I bought a power drivers seat off ebay that is supost to be out of a 91-94 Limited to replace the power seat in my 92 Eddie Bauer. Today when I tried to put it in I found out that the wireing harnesses are differant.
My EB has a 2 wire power plug and the Limited seat has about an 11 wire power plug.

My EB has a green hot wire and a black ground. I spliced them into the green and black wires on the Limited and got nothing.

Any ideas on what the hell I should do now would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 93 and newer Limiteds all have a memory seat. There are many more wires, switch on door panel, and a module under driver's seat. You may be able to hotwire the basic functions, but I'm not sure how. Good luck,

I have done this EXACT thing on my X.

You need to remove the Limited Memory Seat module and associated wiring from the seat, THE WHOLE THING!.....

It will look like this:

Attachments

• LimitedSeatWiringHarness.jpg
    LimitedSeatWiringHarness.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 1,046

When you get that part removed, you will see the plugs from the motors, and pump.

Remove the wiring harness from the EB seat, and swap it onto the Limited Seat.

I did have to make an 'extension' so the lumbar support switch reached all the way to the EB harness.....

All in all, it took me about 40 min to remove the Limited Harness, 10 min to remove the EB harness (in the Junkyard, no less), and about 10 more minutes to plug it into the Limited Seat......including making the 5" extension for the Lumbar switch lead, it was about a 1hr. job.

Hope I've helped. I can shoot any pic you may need......just let me know.

Ryan

Holy crap Spdrcer that is EXACTLY what I needed to know! I cant believe you even have pics. I really appreciate the detailed response. I may swap my harnesses around tonight after work if it isnt raining.

When you say you had to make an extension for the lumbar did you just splice in some extra wire?

Thanks Again
Andy

Cool information Ryan, thanks. I can't think of a use for the memory seat stuff right now, but I'd like to be able to get that stuff, if I needed it. Don't toss any of it, or cut it up. Maybe someone could use it.

I am not thrilled with the 1999 Limited seat's comfort. They are very flat, and give poor support compared to the normal Explorer seats. I wonder if that Limited wiring would go up under a normal Explorer seat? Any thoughts about that Ryan? Regards,

Spdrcer34

I got my seat working! Got home tonight and swapped out the harnesses,spliced in some longer wire for the lumber and it worked like a charm.

Once again,I really appreciate the your help! It saved me hours of guess work.

Andy

That's AWESOME!

Did it go like I said? I did the swap almost 6mo. ago, and the details are a bit fuzzy, but I do remember having to fight the black box a bit to get it out of the bottom of the seat with all those wires hanging on it......

I just made a Male-to-female extension cable for the lumbar switch. I was gonna just splice another wire inbetween, but the way I did it is much cleaner looking (I know, it's UNDER the seat) but I'm a little on the OCD side....

Ryan

Ryan, have you still got those wires, etc. intact? I wonder if they would go under my 98 passenger seat. Would either of you like to sell that chunk of wiring?

I have a 93 Limited, and worse case they could be spare parts. Regards,

Yes it was just like you said. I did however take the seat track off instead of trying to wiggle the memory box out. It was only 4 bolts to do that. i have to admit that I have a little {or maybe a lot} OCD when it comes to automotive projects but it was getting dark and I had allready worked 11 hours today so i took the easy route.

CDW...You are welcome to mine if you want it for what ever it costs to ship it. If not its going in the garbage can.

Andy

Cool Andy, I have been a packrat for a long time. I can always throw something else away. This thread makes me wonder if I'd be happier installing the memory seat parts into my original seats, and reselling the heated 99 Limited seats. I don't need heated seats, and figuring out the wiring, I don't have time for.

I am in Knoxville, TN. 37920, do you think those parts would drop in a Priority Mail flat rate box? There is a box about 3"x12"x20" which is free, and the postage is a flat amount, no matter what the weight is, about $3.85 or so. Would you let me pay you $10 for them, and do you have a Paypal account?

Don yes I think it probley would fit in the box you described. I appreciate the offer for 10 bucks but I couldnt take any money for something I was going to throw away anyway. Besides I rather give it to someone who might actually use it.

Email me your address and I'll send it out first chance I get although it may be next week. agarth1@midsouth.rr.com

Andy

Back