Limited Slip lunchbox locker? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Limited Slip lunchbox locker?

Slickismax

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
So I've been looking around, and I can't seem to find a drop-in type locker that will work in the limited slip carrier. Is there one out there? By the way this is a 2000 Explorer 8.8 with 4.10s and the factory limited slip if that matters. Also, this is mostly a trail rig.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious as to how you found out you have a limited slip rear diff?

The reason I ask is because I have a 1999 Mountaineer, and on my drivers door label under Axle it says 45, and I read somewhere that it meant my rear axle was a 3200 open with 4:10 gears.

Would you tell me what your label on your door says under axle? Sure would appreciate it if you could let me know.

Do you know how I would find out what I have exactly on the front and rear?

What does open mean? I think I know what limited slip, or posi means, but I can't figure out why they would put an open rear end on a 4 wheel drive, because only one tire will spin.

You have a little problem. A lunch box locker will not work in a limited slip differential. It will only work in a open differntial. You can replace the cutches in your stock differential. Or else you will need to replace the differential, and I believe the gears will need to be set up.

I'm thinking the 3200 is the weight rating on that axle. 45 is an open diff. If you had a limited slip it would be a D1-D4. D4 is the most common being a 3.73. Open diffs are better when it is real slippery because the non spinning tire helps to anchors the car.

There is a lunch-box locker for the 8.8 LimitedSlip differential -- the PowerTrax No-slip.
Part Number for LimitedSlip is 92-0688-3128

Application Table (PDF) here: http://www.richmondgear.com/01pdfs/PTRAXAPP.pdf

Powertrax-No-Slip.jpg

There is a lunch-box locker for the 8.8 LimitedSlip differential -- the PowerTrax No-slip.
Part Number for LimitedSlip is 92-0688-3128

Application Table (PDF) here: http://www.richmondgear.com/01pdfs/PTRAXAPP.pdf

Powertrax-No-Slip.jpg

That is an AWESOME piece of equipment. I have one in both my axles, the rear is a limited slip carrier. They are SILENT!!!!!! I had Detroit EZ-Locker in the front and HATED it, HARSH, LOUD, NASTY operation. Swapped it out for the NO-Slip. It's worth every penny, mine are over 3 years old haven't had a single lick of trouble with either one.

I stand corrected. So do the gears need to be reset with this unit?

Thanks guys! I guess that is the way I'm going. Mikmic2, I actually swapped this axle under my Jeep, so I don't know how you would be able to tell.

I stand corrected. So do the gears need to be reset with this unit?

...x2, i am interested in the install and who here has them...:scratch:

No the gears do not get touched because the carrier does not move.

A few people are or were running this lunchbox locker -- including JEFE's (or what used to be his) Explorer.

I'm running one and I have installed quite a few No-Slips and Lock-Rites over the years. I've been quite pleased with the performance for the price you pay. They won't match up to an ARB selectable, but for a fraction of the price it's definitely worth it.

BTW, installation is pretty easy, I can put one in in under 2 hours.

...jdraper, how do they match up with the aussie, other than the aussie needs an open carrier??? i know the lock-rite is about 375 but it has to be really small???...:scratch:

I've never used an Aussie, but the designs are very similar from what I understand.

Yes they are very similar -- in fact the main engineer who designed the Aussie was once part of the team that developed the (I believe) Lock-Rite locker. He's a member on EF (user "AussieLocker") and is a great guy from Rochester, NY!!

...bob, i think his name is...the aussie i believe requires you to swap out an open carrier if you have a ls...i may be wrong though...i'll have to look into this later...;)

...bob, i think his name is...the aussie i believe requires you to swap out an open carrier if you have a ls...i may be wrong though...i'll have to look into this later...;)

The aussie locker does require an open carrier, which means re-setting your gears. If you have a limited slip and don't want to swap carriers, a Powertrax is the way to go. If you're going to swap in an open carrier, you might as well go with a selectable locker at that point.

Back