• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune in CA?

Eric F

Reaction score
City, State
So Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
Anyone in CA running a Livernois tune? Any problems with smog checks?

CA seems to be the state with the tightest regulations on car tweaks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as you restore the tune to "default" stock factory tune you will pass no problem.

I had a tune on my 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT in California. It was a performance tune plus I used a K&N air filter. Always passed smog without having to go back to factory tune.

Have not loaded a tune on my newly purchased 2013 Exp XLT yet (still on warranty) but hope to if it does not impact warranty, etc.

I've got a '13 Sport in SF with the tune, 3 bar sensor, plugs, thermostat, meth injection and oil catch can. Sounds like it would never pass smog right? Well, the stock 2 bar map sensor can be put back in a minute, the stock tune can be put back in another 10 (it clears all DTC codes first and the ONLY trace in the ECU is that the codes were cleared which can easily be explained), I installed the meth kit so it's basically invisible and the catch can can also be removed with no trace in 30 minutes. So, go for it! When you need to get it smogged, you spend an hour cleaning things up and there is zero trace. If you live around the Bay Area, PM me. I'd be glad to share knowledge.

I've got a '13 Sport in SF with the tune, 3 bar sensor, plugs, thermostat, meth injection and oil catch can. Sounds like it would never pass smog right? Well, the stock 2 bar map sensor can be put back in a minute, the stock tune can be put back in another 10 (it clears all DTC codes first and the ONLY trace in the ECU is that the codes were cleared which can easily be explained), I installed the meth kit so it's basically invisible and the catch can can also be removed with no trace in 30 minutes. So, go for it! When you need to get it smogged, you spend an hour cleaning things up and there is zero trace. If you live around the Bay Area, PM me. I'd be glad to share knowledge.

Thanks, jimbob. There aren't as many upgrade parts available for the XLT, which makes it even easier to switch back to "stock".

Back