• Register Today It's free!

locked out

crackerdave

Reaction score
City, State
wales
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
Hi I hope someone can help me I have a 97 explorer it only has 1 key and it's in the ignition, and all the doors are locked!! Any ideas for breaking in without breaking any glass.
cheers
john

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This actually happened to me a couple of months ago and my explorer was running! I was able to recruit the help of a city worker that was on break sitting in his car at the gas station I was at.

He had a couple of flat head (standard) screw drivers and we popped out the small window on the back passenger door. We basically pried the window out partially enough to get our hands on it. Once the window was out it was easy to reach in and unlock the rear passenger door.

It took about 30 minutes to get the window back in place. Im going to get the seal redone by a professional sooner or later but as far as I know there aren't any leaks.

Oh and just a heads up. We did end up putting a couple tiny dents in the metal frame around the outside of that window seal. Not really a big deal, it all adds character right?

don't have roadside on your insurance? I just call a tow truck and say bill my State Farm guy. He calls them back and says bill ins directly.usually wait about 40 min and I am in, but then again I have keyless! push code and in!

wait
the ignition key should work in the door. Mine does.

try another door or the rear hatch.

He only has one key and it's in the ignition...hence he's "locked out"

wait
the ignition key should work in the door. Mine does.

try another door or the rear hatch.

He only has one key and it's in the ignition

ah oops

What you need is a wedge made of wood or plastic in the upper door jamb. if you can get about a 1" gap--Just enough to allow a wire to be pushed thru to hit the door unlock button. You need a stiff wire, like a thick coat hanger might work but something very rigid.

A locksmith is cheaper than a window. We locked our car keys in and the locksmith charged 46.00 to come out on 4th of july evening at around 10.00 PM. He wedged the door and hit the door unlock button within 3 minutes

Ah, I didn't suggest to wedge the door because we were unsuccessful. Then again all we had were a couple of screwdrivers so I really had no choice. The window popped out without any problems and I was able to get it back in.

Guys

I'm in!!

Thank you all for your help I really appreciate it, in the end I went for wedging the door jam as I am a fibregalass moulder and I have loads of nylon wedges, I also used a strip of steel and got in in about 3 minutes.
thanks again

john

Very cool! haha I wish I had a wedge at my disposal or I wouldn't have had the window out for a couple weeks before I was able to put it back. Good job!

Back