Looking for 2011-2014 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for 2011-2014 Explorer Limited

low23

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Jeep Wrangler
Hey guys, as the title says my wife and I are looking for a 2011-14 Explorer Limited. What I'm wanting help with is figuring out what years have more issues than others. I have heard that the 2011s had issues with the technology in the touch portion of the dash. So I'm really trying to decide what years are best to look for. Here's what we're wanting:
Limited
Ruby Red
V6
AWD
Power Lift Gate
NAV
Tow Package
We'd like other options but they are not needed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014. Ltd tuxcedo blk with all bells and whistle. 9k miles very very well kept. I'm moving to puerto rico and cant take it with me. Pm, me and we will talk

Welcome to the Forum low23.:wavey:
I had a 2011 Limited that was pretty well trouble free. No real issues.
I would suggest that you look at a 2014 model since each year there has been some improvement but even the 2015 still has some issues that the 2011 had with a report of steering failure a few days ago. The 2014 would also likely have more of the factory 3 year/36k mile warranty remaining. There are other threads that asked the same question but I haven't found them yet.

Peter

If it was me, I'd stay away from the first 2 years of the new build, and look at a '13, or '14 if you are looking to buy used.

I bought a certified pre-owned 2011 xlt with 38k on the odometer and let me give you my list of problems:

1. Rearview camera failed- dealer replaced
2. Passenger side noise was a leaking strut- dealer replaced
3. Sync system needs a master reset every week or key fobs don't work
4. Replace squeeking serpentine belt with a gatorback- I replaced, the belt is very exposed
To the rain and snow under the passenger front tire.
5. The top rear hatch seal or rubber came off half way-Dealer said no warranty, I got 3m
Tape For auto trim and fixed.
6. Noticed paint at bottom of doors has rubbed off to the metal-Dealer said no rust sorry.
7. I have a wheel bearing or front driver side axle shaft noise that the dealer can't hear
8. The most recent issue is something electrical under the hood won't shut off and drains my battery

Keep in mind I am a ford guy and always have been, I owned a ranger, and two f150s. All three never added up to how many times this Explorer has had something fail.

I bought a 2011 XLT with 31k on it a year ago this month that was not certified, pre-owned.

Only problem has been the third row roof leak which was fixed in 25 minutes by resealing where the roof rack attaches in the back of the roof.

Otherwise not a problem. Very happy with the deal I got buying a loaded XLT used.

Immediately flashed the MFT to v.3.6.2 when I got it and not a prob with MFT. Quite satisfied with it.

I have a 2014. Ltd tuxcedo blk with all bells and whistle. 9k miles very very well kept. I'm moving to puerto rico and cant take it with me. Pm, me and we will talk

Thanks NewPort but it's probably going to be a little out of our price range. I'm looking to pick one up for around 27 not including taxes, etc... Also, my wife really wants red and I do too.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. The biggest reason for this post is because I bought the first year model Acadia for my wife a few years ago and it ended up having all kinds of issues, and, come to find out, these were all common issues and now the resale is GARBAGE. Supposedly the newer Acadia's are better so I'm trying to minimize that from happening again. I know there's always a chance of getting a lemon and each car has its issues but like I said, just trying to minimize it. I love that I'm not seeing any BIG reoccurring issues yet.

Thanks NewPort but it's probably going to be a little out of our price range. I'm looking to pick one up for around 27 not including taxes, etc... Also, my wife really wants red and I do too.

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming. The biggest reason for this post is because I bought the first year model Acadia for my wife a few years ago and it ended up having all kinds of issues, and, come to find out, these were all common issues and now the resale is GARBAGE. Supposedly the newer Acadia's are better so I'm trying to minimize that from happening again. I know there's always a chance of getting a lemon and each car has its issues but like I said, just trying to minimize it. I love that I'm not seeing any BIG reoccurring issues yet.

I don't know where you're located but if you want a limited, even used will cost you over 30k. Unless it is has high mileage for a 2013-2014.

But in Exton, PA Sloan Ford where I bought my 2 explorers had a Certified 2014 Ruby Red Limited with 26,000 miles for $31,900

I don't know if it still there, but it was there when I bought my left over 14 and my new 15.

Back