looking for quiet tires | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

looking for quiet tires

Hello all, I'm looking for some new tires for my '99 xlt 4x4, and I would prefer some tires that are quiet on the road. I'm not really concerned with off-roading. Any ideas? I did a search but couldn't find anything.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to bump this old thread, but I could still use some help. I still haven't bought tires yet because of some other problems, but I'm ready to now. I've been checking out the Michelin LTX M/S that toypaseo and others have recommended, but I've been checking the reviews on tirerack.com and I've read quite a few that say they have poor wet-weather performance.
Does anyone who has these tires know if that's true?

Whether it's the Goodyear Eagles, Firestone Firehawks, or anything else, there always seems to be a problem. I'm going crazy trying to find a performance all-season tire, mainly for good-handling.

Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cooper Discoverer H/T's were highly recommended by our family mechanic and we had em put on about 40,000 miles ago. They're fantastic. The tires on there before had such an awful hum, it was enough to drive ya nuts. The Coopers have been phenomenal. When I say you can't hear them, you really cannot if you try. Nothing. They're awesome. Great all season tire, work fine in sand, snow, rain. I don't hit the trails too often, but when I do, these tires have never let me down either. So you really can't go wrong.

Those General Grabber HTS have some really nice ratings on Tirerack...

I bought a set of Yokohama Geolander GO51's for my F-150. I liked them so much I just put the same on my Ex. They are quiet, have great traction, live a long time, have great ratings on tire rack and cheaper than the rest.

Attachments

• 12-08 023.JPG
    12-08 023.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 409

Those General Grabber HTS have some really nice ratings on Tirerack...

Well, what's your opinion on the Michelin tires in the rain? Any problems, or do you think the reviews are just garbage?

tires

Don't know if you are still checking this thread or have bought tires yet. I have 176,000 miles on a 93 Explorer and 120K on a 2002. The Michelin LTX tires are the worst of the tires I have experienced on the 93. They are soft in the sidewalls and the truck feels like it has a broken steering gear with these tires! The Firestone Destination tires don't wander everywhere like the Michelin, but make the SUV ride like a rough tank. Don't buy them. I want mine gone! The Bridgestone Alenza tires went on my 2002. They are to soft in the sidewalls, and wear out in 15K miles. I have the Goodyear Fortera Tripletread on the 2002 right now. They are outstanding in most ways on that year of Explorer. Snow traction is great, ice traction is so so, wet traction is excellent, they are quiet enough, handling is very good and the ride quality is very nice. Treadwear is worse than expected. The tire has been highly rated in the past by CR and Tirerack. Another tire I am considering over this one is the General Grabber HTS. It is rated number #1 by CR and tirerack reviews at this time. The tire should get better gas mileage than the Goodyear and probably rides a little softer. The early Explorers really need some cushion for a reasonable ride and I'm thinking this might be right for my 93. I also had some "Kelly Safari SUV" tires on the 2002. They were excellent in all ways except a bit noisy.

I had an 4x2 V10 Excursion with LTX M/S 10ply. LOVED them. They had good traction long tread life 75+k miles and felt confident (as confident as you can in a 7klb tank)

My 16 year old Daughter has a 98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD that I am trying to decide on tires for 15inch rims. The MOST importand thing is I want it to be safe for her as she will not be mudding with it. So I am looking at the X spec suspension kit based on recommendations from here and trying to come up with a good tire and am looking for any other recommendations.

I have the Mich. Cross Terrains on my 03 very quiet.But I am buying Cont. Cross Contact to replace them.Good price a great in the rain.I live in Fl. and we get lots of rain.

i had about 30% of the michelin mtx m/s that came on my truck, they sucked in the mud, but with all that siping, did good in the rain/all round...

if you want a quiet tire dont get dunlop mudrovers!
you go down the road and you hear WAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAWAW lol but when im off the gas (open manifolds) and the song changes, i just love to hear them :) because im a man that drives a truck, and dont give a **** how loud it is :D :p:

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm still haven't bought and I'm still looking. I'm actually looking at passenger tires now.
I gotta say, I've been reading the reviews over on tirerack.com, and the reviews are very inconsistent. For example, for the General Grabber tire, two guys will say they're great and two guys will say they suck.
I also noticed that A/T tires are rated rated higher in categories like wet-weather and handling than all-season tires. I didn't think it was possible.

Back