Firestone Destination LE | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Firestone Destination LE

Bought some Firestone Destination LE 255/70/16s for my 99 Explorer XLT last week. I must say they are by far the nicest riding and handling truck tires I have ever owned. They are M+S rated, not off-road tires, but handled some light gravel and dirt trails just fine. If you are looking for a wonderfully quiet primarily on-road tire I recommend them. My price was 429.00 out the door. Not bad at all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yup they are good tires... I had a set put onto Indy's durango awhile ago..... i know bridegstone says their dueler revos are superior, and they are for actual offroad situations, but they have the same technology in the firestone destinantion LEs that the revos have... by technology i mean tread compound and all that stuff, except minded for the street.....

that Uni-T is something isn't it

I've had them for about 8 months now and love them! I had no problem this past winter with all the snow. I recommend them to anyone.

Joe

We have them on our '02 and they've been great so far.

Good to hear. I just ordered and got them last monday. Haven't mounted them yet (tomorrow). I just went by the reviews on TIRERACK.COM

I hated the previous Owners choice Wrangler RT/S. Granted they are ready for the dumpster not at the tire wear mark but still ready. They are very bad in the rain. Hydroplane city

I must agree, I just put mine on my X and I love them. I got them for 385 installed. GOOD CHOICE. I got rid of thge crappy GY RT/S.

Explorer and Firestone...

Bad combination

still can not get that out of everyones head when you mention firestone and exporers most people cringe...
that is all..
realize it is od news but that is why there is never anything for newer explorers...

davidmmm69 said:
still can not get that out of everyones head when you mention firestone and exporers most people cringe...
that is all..
realize it is od news but that is why there is never anything for newer explorers...
Very Very true, never less I am happy with my tires.

If people are neglegent and can't look and make sure their tires have air in them. All bets are off.

Maybe there was a real issue with heat and the Firestones but I'm sure they are more then making sure it is no longer an issue.

mosinman said:
Bought some Firestone Destination LE 255/70/16s for my 99 Explorer XLT last week. I must say they are by far the nicest riding and handling truck tires I have ever owned. They are M+S rated, not off-road tires, but handled some light gravel and dirt trails just fine. If you are looking for a wonderfully quiet primarily on-road tire I recommend them. My price was 429.00 out the door. Not bad at all!

Nice tire for the price. Are you sure that they are M+S rated? They don't look it.

davidmmm69 said:
Explorer and Firestone...

Bad combination

Why do people have to drag this issue out?

I see people recomending Bridgestone tires on here and no one says two words about it. Someone mentions Firestone and all hell breaks loose. They're essentially the same tire.

i don't think people realize all the companies out there that are essentially Bridgestone/Firestone

IAmTodd said:
Why do people have to drag this issue out?

I see people recomending Bridgestone tires on here and no one says two words about it. Someone mentions Firestone and all hell breaks loose. They're essentially the same tire.

It doesn't really bother me but the 2 biggest tire recalls ever (the first was before Bridgestone aquired Firestone) and the most widely published were both from Firestone but I always have that on the back of my mind.
However I do have to disagree that Bridgestone and Firestone are essentialy the same tire.
On a up note I had one of the first "all season" tires ever built on my brand new 1977 Monte carlo and they were Firestone tires. I went thru a 4 hour snow storm and passed vechicles that were stuck going up a mountain in 8" of snow and was one of only a few that made it up to the ski lodge.
The large recalls left bad memorys of Firestone with many people.

the whole firestone/ford thing was mainly fords fault... at the time and even less now, firestone had defects in the same percentage as all the other tire manufacturers... but they got drug through the mud because ford decided the public didnt like the truck-like ride of their new suv so they said to run 26 psi in a 4500 pound truck..... add that with high speed driving, people that can't drive, and people that dont ever check their air pressure and what do you have? rollovers, property damage and death......

firestones are decent tires... granted i think they have no tires agressive enough for me to use on my trucks, but i did put a set of LE's on my duaghter's mom's 2002 dodge durango

Firestone Destination LEs

old mechanic - the tires have M+S on the sidewall after the size. I'm not exactly sure what M+S tires are supposed to look like or even what test (if any) a tire has to undergo to meet that designation.

After dirving a few more weeks on these tires I am still as pleased with them as the day I bought them. They are the best truck tires (for the street and light trail use) that I have ever owned. I'm 41 years old by the way and have owned a truck or SUV for at least 20 of those years.

As far as the Firestone issue, these are NOT the tires that were recalled. If I avoided every company that ever had a recall issue where safety or deaths were involved, I couldn't drive a Ford..... or Chevy. For that matter, I probably wouldn't be able to drive any vehicle or fly in an airplane.

As far as the size of the recall being significant in some way, it just happened that the issue involved OEM tires on one of the most popular vehicles in the world. Wouldn't have been such a huge recall if the exact same thing happened to something at the bottom of the sales charts.

some how my explorer has a firestone radial atx spare

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back