Loud screeching + battery light... Now what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud screeching + battery light... Now what?

westcovinajoe

Reaction score
City, State
West Covina, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
Hi,

I was just driving today when I started to hear an odd noise, at first a slight rumble, then a screech type sound. I pulled over and shut it off, noticiing the battery light had come on.

I let it sit for a few minutes, checked all the fluids, noticed no burn smell, and all fluids were good, except I may have added a quart too much of oil, maybe less. Oil looked good though.

I started it again with the hood up and noticed the sound seems to be coming from the belt area, but the belt looks good.

Any ideas? I have only $100 until I get paid on friday. I was thinking maybe the timing belt, or ???

Thanks so much in advance for your time and help.

Joe :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most likely the alternator. The battery light on the dash indicates that there is a malfunction in the charging system. The primary culprit is usually the alternator when it comes on.

Okay, thanks for the quick answers.

If it is the alternator, would it be safe to drive 2.5 miles back to my house? Or should I get a tow. It wasn't performing real well, but I would hate to pay for a tow when I don't need one, and then a 2nd tow later this week to the shop if I can't fix it myself.

By the way, next weekend I am subscribing tho this site or paying you guys or something. This is such a great service!!!

Joe. :salute:

Most likely the alternator. The battery light on the dash indicates that there is a malfunction in the charging system. The primary culprit is usually the alternator when it comes on.

And possibly the belt if it is squealing badly.

Dan

If it is the alternator, would it be safe to drive 2.5 miles back to my house? Or should I get a tow. It wasn't performing real well, but I would hate to pay for a tow when I don't need one, and then a 2nd tow later this week to the shop if I can't fix it myself.

By the way, next weekend I am subscribing tho this site or paying you guys or something. This is such a great service!!!

Before driving it, verify that the belt is moving. It also runs your water pump. If it's not moving and you drive it, you could overheat the motor. Take it easy and keep your eye on the temperature gauge. If it starts to rise above normal, shut the vehicle down immediately.

You could always take the belt off where the vehicle sits and try turning the alt pulley by hand, and the water pump pulley by hand. I'm assuming the belt is either slipping or the alt seized from the noise. If your going to take the belt off first make sure you have the sticker saying how to put it back on, or you make note of how to put it back on. As long as the pulleys turn easy by hand it should be safe to drive back home. The alt is a REALLY easy part to replace. Search on the site and there is most likely a how to. You also might want to think about picking up a haynes manual for your truck.

If ya need some help lemme know since were from the same neck of the woods:)

If ya need some help lemme know since were from the same neck of the woods:)

Doh!

I wish I would have seen this a little earlier...

Checked it out, belt was moving, so I tried to get it home, but snapped the belt and got her pretty hot. It's parked now at the Amar/Azusa McDonald's with plans to get it towed and checked out on Monday.

Thanks again all for your help!

Joe.

Also, cybergasm, feel free to hit me up if you ever need some help too.

Likely......it's the alt. bearing. At any rate......since the light came on.......remove the alt. and have it bench tested. While you're under the hood......clean up the battery. Take both down to the auto parts place to be tested.

Aloha, Mark

Doh!

I wish I would have seen this a little earlier...

Checked it out, belt was moving, so I tried to get it home, but snapped the belt and got her pretty hot. It's parked now at the Amar/Azusa McDonald's with plans to get it towed and checked out on Monday.

Thanks again all for your help!

Joe.

Also, cybergasm, feel free to hit me up if you ever need some help too.

Oh man that so close to me u could have walked to my house:cool: hmmm feeling like a cheeseburger all of a sudden.:D

Back