Loud squeaking/squealing from drums | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud squeaking/squealing from drums

Alex8706

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer Sport
Hey,

I am getting a very loud squeaking/squealing from the rear end. From what i can tell its coming from the drums. Im not sure why though. It happens most often not when i press the brakes but when i accelerate from a stop. Although i do get some squeaking when applying the brakes also. After i get to about 30 it becomes non existent. Doesnt happen all the time but more times then not. Ive taken the drums off, cleaned it all and inspected everything and it all looks good. Also readjusted them. After that it seemed to help a little but not much.

New pads and hardware were put in about 6 months ago. Along with new calipers and pads for the front and a complete brake flush. I have about 240k on the vehicle and dont believe the drums have been replaced before but they didnt look very bad imo. Been happening for about 2 months now. Honestly im not even sure if that is what is causing the squeaking but im not sure what else would be. Kind of at a lost at this one. Only thing i can think of is the drums but idk if they would cause that to happen or not. There was a crack on the e brake pad going horizontally near the top of the pad on the left rear but it was still smooth. Any ideas? I can probably get some audio of it tomorrow if that would help.

For brakes I have used this stuff for years. It is truly the best brake lube I have ever used.

upload_2018-8-21_20-45-58.jpeg

Maybe remove the drums again and apply some of this wherever there is metal to metal contact. I used to be in charge of a huge fleet of vehicles and this eliminated brake squeal from every vehicle in the fleet.
It’s worth a shot

For brakes I have used this stuff for years. It is truly the best brake lube I have ever used.

View attachment 161935

Maybe remove the drums again and apply some of this wherever there is metal to metal contact. I used to be in charge of a huge fleet of vehicles and this eliminated brake squeal from every vehicle in the fleet.
It’s worth a shot

I went and bought some of this stuff along with new shoes and drums for the hell of it. Wasn't expensive. Anyways the brake grease I put on there before was pretty much nonexistent. New grease, shoes and drums and everything is quiet, smooth and brakes so much better. Thank you for the recommendation on grease to use massacre.

No problem
We call it purple stuff at work
It worked wonders on the Econolines and even the big trucks with air brakes
It’s all i use now

Glad you got it fixed

Back