Low beam/ high beam issues | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low beam/ high beam issues

It is not a common ground, different ground for each of the L & R side headlights.

See the wiring diagram I posted in #6 above, trace the circuit power with a multimeter.

Hard to believe but both bulbs are toast and I've amazoned replacements. I had replaced both bulbs about 8 years ago with Sylvania 9005ST and will now use Sylvania 9005 SilverStar Ultras.

So I went back over exactly what happened with my wife who was with me. We drove from our home to a location about 10 miles from us. As we left that stop we know that both bulbs were working as its a badly lit area and I used high beam at one point. We then drove back about 9 miles via a busy freeway in major rain to a grocery store and when I pulled in we noticed no headlights. Thats when I figured out my fogs could get us back home as that last mile has basically no trafffic.

So my point being that I dont really know if they went out at the exact same time but no question that it would have been within 20 minutes that they both died. Sorry for the boring solution. I'm buying a lottery ticket later - cheers!

Appreciate the update.:thumbsup:

Peter

When they stopped working the lights were in auto position, then tried to put them to the "ON " position and nothing. So far I've checked:
  1. Both headlight bulbs -Good
  2. All fuses(that I know of) - Good
  3. Continuity from bulb - Good
  4. Continuity from dimmer - Good

• Not sure what the BCM is
  • I don't have a multimeter
BCM is the Body Control Module. It can be accessed through Forscan and a compatible ODB II cable. I forget which cable i have, but it auto switches between the 2 different protocols used by the various computers. From there you can get detailed information as to what is going on.

Back