Low reference voltage at TPS + CEL | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low reference voltage at TPS + CEL

Hotweels

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary,AB
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 EB
I am having problems with high idle intermitently (1500rpm) my CEL came on and i pulled a high voltage TPS code, but i also have low refrence voltage from the pcm when i test the TPS connector. WTF is going on here? should i just get a new throtle position sensor of should i have ford test my pcm? HELP!!!!!:fire:

What was the reference voltage? Did you check it at the TPS connector and what type of meter did you use?

It was 3.8 volts the spec is 5.0 +/- 0.1, i have a good auto voltage meter and followed the haynes manual to a T. remove plug and probe the terminal using the middle pin as ground, You busy in may jimmiecakes? i wanna get some exploring in on may long weekend at waiprouse just west of calgary, hmmmmmm......explorer run?!?!?!?!

OK, 5.0 to 0.1 is the sensor operating range... anything outside this and the ECM will set a code. I'd expect reference voltage of 4.5 (sorry, I can't remember the pinout offhand and manual is at the shop) or thereabouts. This needs to be checked with a high impedance DVOM - an analogue meter will drag the voltage down or even kill the ECM.

You can check the TPS with the ohmeter - two pins will give no change to a sweep of the sensor, two pins will start high and go low and two pins will start low and go high (yes, there are only three pins.... you'll figure it out). Readings should be smooth with no drop-outs. Something like this has an 80% chance of being the TPS and 20% of being something else. I recommend to my customers that if there is a choice between paying me 50 bucks diagnostic time or 50 bucks for a try and see part - they are further ahead with a new try and see part (just my opinion but a new part is a new part and an old part with 50 diagnostic dollars is still an old part).

Since we are dealing with only 4.5 volts or less, it doesn't take much corrosion to make a world of difference. If money means more than time, you can check for corrosion, poor grounds and spread connectors.

Good luck.

Back