Wanted - Lower steering shaft | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Lower steering shaft

Parts or services wanted
Last year when this problem started, the knocking happened when the truck warmed up. And then when I went over speed bumps. And when the truck came to a halt ans settled,.you would hear one small knock. Once you pressed in the pedal to start again, you would get one small knock. Ford said it was the Steering Shaft. So I replaced it with a junk yard one. Everything went good. No more knocking. Now,just a month ago, the small knock came back again. But this time it progressed quicker than last time. I just figured it was due to the fact that the Steering shaft in there now was used. And it finally crapped out also. When I took it to Ford, they said they could not get any play in it like they did the first time I took it to them. And they put the same mechanic on it as the last time. I told them to replace the shaft I gave them anyway,.with a second used piece. Welp,.the knock is still there, and now the steering wheel is a lot stiffer and doesn't pop back into position well when I go around corners. I did try 2 non ford mechanics last year when the niose initially started, and neither could find anything. That's why Ford reeled me in when they so-to-speak found and bandaged the issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welp, 2 more mechanic shops later. Few hundred more dollars flushed down the drain. Everyone comes right back to the same problem. And another part bought from a junk yard,.lasted bout a week. Neither Borgenson or Flaming River could help me. It is time I get rid of this thing and get another truck.

i looked and I couldn't find one, but, you could swap in a newer steering rack and lower shaft, make it easier to find...

Si

I thought all 95-01 lower shafts were interchangeable. Thats why some people used the early ones to replace the cheaper later models, or so I thought. Maybe I'm mistaken. I know that Flaming River has the parts to replace the shafts on 99-01, and I thought they were the same as the others. Anybody else agree or disagree? I'm always up for being enlightened.

Maybe stop buying junkyard parts and try Flaming River or Borgeson? If you ask a good steering/alignment type shop to do it for you, they can get all the measurements needed and get the correct parts ordered.

It sounds to me like you have a deeper issue with the steering that's causing the shafts to keep going bad.

Back