lowered 01 Sport but having a problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lowered 01 Sport but having a problem

wrob51

Reaction score
City, State
westfield, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
hey this is my first post,

I have a 01 X Sport that I lowered 1" blocks in back and about 2" in front, after having an alignment done the truck pulls even more to the left.

I was told that usually one torsion adjuster bolt is in more then the other and that you should start with that one and back it out till you have the height you want then tune the other the same amount of turns, but I didn't do that I made the bolts even and was told that this is what was causing the pulling dose this sound right and if it dose what can I do now to fix.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You usually have to tune each bolt differently. Doing so will not cause pulling. Whoever told you that is dead wrong.

So at this point what would you recommend leveling the front pass to driver and getting another alignment

I should say I installed the EE X sup kit and had it aligned to there specs I love the look and ride lowered I just want it to go straight ya know ha ha

Yeah just measure the fender heights and level them out. Then get an alignment.

Would you say that the alignment was done wrong the first time and thats the reason for the pulling or is it hard to say

Thanks for the help also

Go back to the shop and tell them.

I will
thanks again for the help

This is why I'm not sure that I want to lower my '01 sport yet... :(

I lowered my X about a 1.5 weeks ago. I drove it around for a few days to let the suspension settle. I had it aligned last tuesday, but I also have no torsion bolts in the front (pulled them completely out for max drop). After my alignment, the X drove staight as an arrow with no pulling.

I just drove around the block to get mine settled. Pulling the tortion bolt completely out gave me 2.5" drop but I had to bring it back up .25" to get some ride quality back.

Originally posted by The Cheat
This is why I'm not sure that I want to lower my '01 sport yet... :(
Don't let this one instance discourage you. As long as you level out the front end and have a reputable shop do your alignment your truck will be fine.

What is the general purpose of lowering it? I hear it handles better but i can doubt with the power of an explorer (or lac of) that lowering it would do much of anything?? And you guys dont lower it enough so that you cant see the tops of your tires do you? I head that isnt legal.

Brandon you have infinate wisdom. There are probably 100 Explorers on here that are lowered. You think that's a coincidence? 2 inches might not seem like a lot, but it improves the look of the truck a lot. It also GREATLY improves the handling characteristics of the truck.

Hmm, ok then.. i just wanted to make sure i get the knowledge straight.. I thought explorers handle pretty well stock.

I disagree. Stock Explorers have a high center of gravity. A high center of gravity equals lots of body roll.

so i dont know what im missing right?

exactly what hes sayin... become a streeter!:D

Well it's ironic that you say you think Explorers ride good, and you have a 1st gen which is the worst gen as far as ride quality goes.

i just must be good at driving it then :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

exactly what hes sayin... become a streeter!

I would himm haww about that one, a ist gen streeter, urrgg.. i think il make my future like 3rd gen explorer sport a streeter :D hood scoop and wing and air dam.

For now i am gonna lift my X soo much, when i get the dough :(. It does have a higher rear end then the front, and its got some performance mods, so its kinda street right now.

Back