M5OD pops out of overdrive

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I recently got my new baby, a '92 4 door XL with the 5 speed Mazda M5OD manual transmission. It shifts fine and doesn't have any abnormal whines, but it pops out of overdrive. It will let you shift it in, goes fine for a few seconds, but falls back into neutral. It has done that before and after tranny oil changes. What gives? I know it will have to be pulled, but what should I expect? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like a syncro problem.

Thankya mrboyle. I'll remember that.

Yup, if it only pops out of one gear it's most likely either that gear's blocker ring or clutching teeth.

Well folks, do you think it's better for me to have a transmission mechanic fix what's worn, or just replace it with a reman? On ebay Phoenix hard parts has remans for $695 buy it now. I could have my cheap general mechanic install that since it's a straight swap with new clutch and all that. What do you think? Also, I have noticed that if I do a really quick power shift between 1st and 2nd it'll grind a tiny bit. Is this still related with the syncros? It shifts fine if I drive slow, but what's the fun in that? :burnout:

If it's the gear that's bad, then you're better off with a reman since that = changing all the gears. However, if it's just the blocker ring or another part of the synchro assembly, those parts are very cheap.

As for:
F14CRAZY said:
Also, I have noticed that if I do a really quick power shift between 1st and 2nd it'll grind a tiny bit. Is this still related with the syncros? It shifts fine if I drive slow, but what's the fun in that? :burnout:

Don't do that, dumb@ss ;)

Alec said:
If it's the gear that's bad, then you're better off with a reman since that = changing all the gears. However, if it's just the blocker ring or another part of the synchro assembly, those parts are very cheap.

As for:

Don't do that, dumb@ss ;)

Hey Alec, I ain't got time to be slow. This truck is an XL so when my friends ride with me, I say it's a stripped down version, for lighter weight. See, it's actually a high performance Explorer...

Maybe I should turn into a ricer boy and put a Type R sticker right by my XL insignia :nono: Extra 20 hp right there!

Ehh, I don't like grinding gears. I changed with fluid in it with conventional ATF, then did it again after a few hundred miles, and now again with Mobil 1 ATF. Too bad it can't replace my gears and bearings at $5/quart.

Back