M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exhaust

Looks and sounds great!
I love the idea of electric cut outs, let us know how well they work as time goes by. If they hold up, Doug's sales may just increase a little.
A lot of work but in the end it turned out awesome. That truck is gonna turn some heads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Looks and sounds great!
I love the idea of electric cut outs, let us know how well they work as time goes by. If they hold up, Doug's sales may just increase a little.
A lot of work but in the end it turned out awesome. That truck is gonna turn some heads!

Thanks man ;)

Honestly im pretty impressed with them.ive used cutouts before on old cars and almost always they have leaked from the first start and only got worse.these being disc seal VERY good, not a single bit of leaking for now.I did a bunch of research when I was looking to buy and they got really good reviews and good customer service/warranty. .think I only found one bad review.

Obviously on a stock motor im sure they are hurting me but once I get my new motor in with some boost and juice they probably will help.but honestly I just wanted the truck to be quieter and have the option to make it loud..

Also honestly the whole exhaust flows wayyy to much for this stock motor, got 2.5", no cats and flowmaster PER 3 cylinders.its got a real nice lumpy Harley sound to it tho.one thing if noticed is after you rev it and let off.as the rpms come down on their own it almost sounds like a ""jake break" farting sound..hahaha hard to explain but think its because the pipes are so big.it does seem to rev way faster qnd sounds good up to about 4k then starts to sound more ""ricey"" but im not worried about any of this as new motor is a WHOLE different beast..

I got the local shop making me a SS line and should be done next day or two..also my second IC is getting delivered today.I ordered a new header panel so hopefully I can get the heat exchanger mounted if everything goes back to where it should with the header panel. .

O one other thing..I dont know if anyone noticed the little puff of smoke I use to get on start up..but if isolated it down to the passenger side..lol the passenger pipe smokes and smokes pretty bad now without cats,drivers is fine..im pretty sure its just valve seals or hoping. .correct if wrong but normally when seal goes bad oil leaks down when off and thats what cause the ""bigger"" puff on start up then when running..??

So plan is to switch seals, rocker spacers, valve gaskets and add a SC for now. Think I may also put my 8 rib alternator and power steering pulleys on also but not crank as its bigger than stock..just wanna make sure everything is aligned. ;)

Do you get a big puff out the one bank when you let off the gas suddenly?

Not really..I get bigger puff at start up on one bank and it smokes the whole time but nothing like after its been sitting for awile and starts up..

I'd stick with your plan on valve guide seals. I had always thought that if you let off the gas quickly and saw a puff it was an indicator of valve guide seals also...but who knows?

I'd stick with your plan on valve guide seals. I had always thought that if you let off the gas quickly and saw a puff it was an indicator of valve guide seals also...but who knows?
Could be, ill double check.could very well be rings.ill do a compression test when I swap plugs during sc install before I do the seals.seals arnt that had to swap but if I dont need to then no point wasting time and honestly not much point even doing seals cause that motor wont be in there long, was just worried about losing boost thro a bad seal and over pressurized the crank case, which definitely would happen if its rings.just didnt want any extra oil being sucked up into my charger, my oil separator only catches so much.lol

Wow, that looks great! Nice job!

Thanks..:) i appreciate the complements from you guys.you all have set the bar so high with the level and detail of work you all have done:chug:

My truck, you could also call Puff the Magic Dragon just decided to take out an intake gasket causing heavy smoke. At first it was just a problem on start up then would burn off. Then it went away and I kept driving, but when it really let go I could have filled a gymnasium with zero visability of smoke. Just throwing another possible source out there, but you can typically smell the difference between oil and coolant in the combustion chamber.

Hope its not a major issue.. Truck looks great by the way.

My truck, you could also call Puff the Magic Dragon just decided to take out an intake gasket causing heavy smoke. At first it was just a problem on start up then would burn off. Then it went away and I kept driving, but when it really let go I could have filled a gymnasium with zero visability of smoke. Just throwing another possible source out there, but you can typically smell the difference between oil and coolant in the combustion chamber.

Hope its not a major issue.. Truck looks great by the way.

Thanks.:salute:

Yea its definitely oil

Could be, ill double check.could very well be rings.ill do a compression test when I swap plugs during sc install before I do the seals.seals arnt that had to swap but if I dont need to then no point wasting time and honestly not much point even doing seals cause that motor wont be in there long, was just worried about losing boost thro a bad seal and over pressurized the crank case, which definitely would happen if its rings.just didnt want any extra oil being sucked up into my charger, my oil separator only catches so much.lol

hey if you need a compression tester i got one. freddy uses it all the time.

Some good news..I got my second IC in today and it matches my old one..no problem stacking them at all..I must have had the newer model and didnt even know it..:D

Also double checked this and yes it does get worse when you let off quick but really only if you rev it past like 3k...if you just do quick low revs it really doesnt change..but its smoking pretty bad.

I would think as bad as its smoking and if it was a ring I would get bad performance or ruff running, lots of blow by or something..which makes me think its a real bad valve seal

smoke

If the intake valve guide seals are leaking the oil leaks into the intake port of the head and smoke on deceleration could be one of the symptoms since engine vacuum is highest on deceleration.
The spark plugs could also have signs of oil burning in the cylinder.
If the exhaust valve guide seals leak the oil runs down into the exhaust port in the head and gets burned in the exhaust, no signs of oil burning would be on the spark plugs. Of course if they both leak then there will be oil on the spark plug anyway. If either were bad oil will still run down and be burned at start up. Valve guides can get worn too large and if that happens new seals may or may not help.
A compression test would let you know if you were going to have combustion gases leaking past the rings into the crankcase. However the oil rings could get stuck in the ring lands with carbon and compression tests would still look good since the oil rings are only for limiting oil consumption.
Of course with high mileage engines there could be more than one problem so you diagnose it and fix it but still have a symptom and think you misdiagnosed it but really it just had more than one problem.
You could check compression and also check the engine running vacuum and vacuum on deceleration. if they look good then pull the spark plugs to see which ones have signs of oil on them, might help narrow done to one cylinder.
Either way when you finish the new motor you have to make a video so we can hear it roar!

If the intake valve guide seals are leaking the oil leaks into the intake port of the head and smoke on deceleration could be one of the symptoms since engine vacuum is highest on deceleration.
The spark plugs could also have signs of oil burning in the cylinder.
If the exhaust valve guide seals leak the oil runs down into the exhaust port in the head and gets burned in the exhaust, no signs of oil burning would be on the spark plugs. Of course if they both leak then there will be oil on the spark plug anyway. If either were bad oil will still run down and be burned at start up. Valve guides can get worn too large and if that happens new seals may or may not help.
A compression test would let you know if you were going to have combustion gases leaking past the rings into the crankcase. However the oil rings could get stuck in the ring lands with carbon and compression tests would still look good since the oil rings are only for limiting oil consumption.
Of course with high mileage engines there could be more than one problem so you diagnose it and fix it but still have a symptom and think you misdiagnosed it but really it just had more than one problem.
You could check compression and also check the engine running vacuum and vacuum on deceleration. if they look good then pull the spark plugs to see which ones have signs of oil on them, might help narrow done to one cylinder.
Either way when you finish the new motor you have to make a video so we can hear it roar!
Thats what I was thinking. .plan to do as much as I can to fix the issue wile im throwing the charger on next week..hopefully its just the seals, either way honestly it doesnt matter to much but would like to do as much as possible to make it run better for now;)

Its gonna be awile till I can afford or have pistons made.plus I need to save for machining and for the new trans gears, clutch and flywheel..BUT im basically done with mods after I throw the sc on for now, besides paint..;)

Looks and sounds great!

Hahaha did anyone see the new series""*****in rides"" on the velocity channel tonight? ?

I swear I had a FLASHBACK! !!:shifty_ey:shifty_ey they build a custom exhaust on a car USING custom mandrel bent dual 2.5" with Doug's cutouts and even the same flowmaster! !!!

pretty funny;)

rides

What are the chances! lol.
Great minds think alike!

Got my line made .he used a portion and fitting where it joins at the master then cut the plastic line off the quick disconnect on the slave side and attached a SS line.came out good , costed me $50.I also ordered a new master, this one appeared to be original and was rusty/crusty..this should allow me to run it up against the firewall away from my pipes.;)

20140903_155426_zpszgivkncg.jpg

Looks nice. Probably a hell of a lot easier to maneuver in there too vs the original hard plastic.

Benjam :D

Back