MAD CLUTCH PROBLEMS!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MAD CLUTCH PROBLEMS!!!

new slave 3 (sideshot) sorry for the bluriness, trying to do it one handed style

Attachments

• josh 003.jpg
    josh 003.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 768

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

flywheel surface...does it look ok(kinda hard to tell through the pic) as in discoloration and stuff? I plan on getting it resurfaced anyways though. Do you have to take the pilot bearing out to get the flywheel off???

Attachments

• josh 005.jpg
    josh 005.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 620

Josh If I were you, I'd get the motorcraft. I don't see a brng on there that looks the same. If you think it'll work try it. It wuold suck to get it all togetther and find out you should have gone the other way, if you know what I mean. Although at second look the spacer that comes with the clutch may be another piece top the puzzel. I still think I'd go to Ford to get the piece. It wasn't that much I think it was $86 bucks or something.

old slave(w/ bellows). I'm gonna take off that new POS that I got and return it to KRAPGEN, then hitch it on over to Ford and get a old style one. Note the throwout bearing on the top...Is this piece supposed to slip off? because I can wiggle mine off the top as showed in the pic in my next post.

Attachments

• josh 007.jpg
    josh 007.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 611

Originally posted by Josh S.
flywheel surface...does it look ok(kinda hard to tell through the pic) as in discoloration and stuff? I plan on getting it resurfaced anyways though. Do you have to take the pilot bearing out to get the flywheel off???

No just the studs. the pilot brng just sits in there. I'd spray the nuts down with some creep. The flywheel looks fine it'll look brand new when they reurface. Don't pay anymore than $40 bucks to have it done. That's all they have to do is grind it down a couple of thousand's.

k I'm gonna get back out there. thanks for the replies dude. PITA!!! (dealing with Kragen) I'm gonna try to use a damn seal puller to get the pilot bearing out now, because the freakin tool they gave me doesn't fit inside the bearing opening...*******s:fire:

The slave I have, the throw out is stuck on there. Doesn't come off. By the looks of it though your old slave was without a doubt shot. This is really good Josh I'm going to be doing mine next week, so stay suscribed to the post ok. We'll get this crap done together.

Originally posted by Josh S.
k I'm gonna get back out there. thanks for the replies dude. PITA!!! (dealing with Kragen) I'm gonna try to use a damn seal puller to get the pilot bearing out now, because the freakin tool they gave me doesn't fit inside the bearing opening...*******s:fire:

Ya know you could just try to take a socket the same size OD as the pilot and an extension pop it through with a dead blow hammer. That is what I was going to try

But how? oh, do you mean after you take the flywheel off? Cuz that makes a helluva lot more sense to me. I was thinking like, WTF? How does hammering something make it pull out? I'll definitely stay subscribed to this man, gonna go pull that slave and go back to Kragen and go postal on their stupid *****!!

LOL. Just make sure you get your credit first. You understand what I am saying about the pilot though right. Kind of like a make shift press. I'd spray it with some liquid wrench or something. I don't know how else I would do it. Just a socket,extension, and a hammer I would think that will hook you up. Let me know if it works.

I used a socket to remove and install a new bearing on mine, works just fine.

Originally posted by ipozestu
The flywheel looks fine it'll look brand new when they reurface. Don't pay anymore than $40 bucks to have it done. That's all they have to do is grind it down a couple of thousand's.
You may not need get the flywheel resurfaced unless there is an edge where the clutch contacts. I have just used some coarse sandpaper to knock the glaze off, maybe 80-100 grit. I do the same with brake rotors.

I would probably change the bearing though. Why is there a bearing in the end of the crankshaft anyway?

This thing has got to be pretty smooth. Resufacing is a really good idea. I can take a pic of mine so you can see how smooth they really need to be. Brakes are one thing but the clutch?

OK, flywheel is off and new motorcraft slave is installed. That flywheel is a ***** to get off using hand tools. I phucked with it all day trying to figure out a way to jam the flywheel so it wouldn't turn as I torqued on it trying to loosen those studs. Finally I drove all over town trying to get my air tools and fittings for my buddies air compressor. I pumped up the pressure to like 110psi and blasted it with the impact wrench. Took like 2 minutes to get it all hooked up and off. np with air tools, I think thats definitely the way to go. Either tomorrow or the next day I will get the new clutch and get the flywheel turned and the whole thing balanced together.

ipozestu-You know the little white plastic thing inside the hydraulic fitting going into the slave? Well, I have been doing a little thinking. I kinda ripped that off and destroyed it when I took off the line to the slave. Is that going to be a problem when I hook things back up?

Can't wait to get this thing back on the road and do some madass burnouts.:D

LOL. Just make sure you get your credit first. You understand what I am saying about the pilot though right. Kind of like a make shift press. I'd spray it with some liquid wrench or something. I don't know how else I would do it. Just a socket,extension, and a hammer I would think that will hook you up. Let me know if it works.

and yah I know exactly what you mean about the pilot. Good idea, I will do that when I change the bearing ,or maybe just have the shop do it when they turn it. Later

The slave should come with the throw out brng, the clutch should come with the idle brng that goes in the fly wheel. The clutch should also come with the spacer thingy that goes between the rpessure plate and the slave. make sure you got a motorcraft slave for it. It doesn't sound like you got the right piece to me. Without pics dunno.

the clutch does not come with the pilot bearing or a spacer. if you buy a new flywheel, it comes with a new pilot bearing pressed in. the only 'spacer' should be the throwout bearing. this is how my parts came from the dealership in NY this summer. then again, parts may vary from state to state and from date, knowing Ford's inconsistency.

as far as ripping the white plastic thing off the tubing, that piece is what pushes the metal fingers down in the slave cylinder so you are able to release the tubing. the tubing will still be functional and you will be able to lock it in again, but when you want to release the tubing again, you will have to rip it out again, which will need replacing the slave cylinder.

im a little confused about where you are at right now, but maybe these will help a little:

F77Z-6375-BA Flywheel with Pilot Bearing $117
F87Z-7550-AA Clutch Disc $114 +7core
YL5Z-7563-AA Pressure Plate $140 +20core
YL5Z-7A508-AA Slave Cylinder $87
#N802096-S2 Six Press. Plate to Flywheel Bolts $?
F87Z-7A512-AA Mast to Slave Tubing $89
F87Z-7A543-AA Master Cylinder with Reservoir $92
F87Z-7K500-AA Just Reservoir $39

Dude I just bought a clutch. and it came with everything you said it didn't. If you buy everything from Ford it is all sold seperatly. If he buys a centerforce, or any other, it will come with that stuff.
I think what you meant was. "My clutch didn't come with..."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back