making Ford emblem CLEAR? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

making Ford emblem CLEAR?

Ok, here is the idea. I love video/audio... I especially love car videos. This summer I plan on adding some video cameras to my explorer so I can take videos. I want to add one camera behind the Ford emblem in the grille, probably right inside of the 'o'.

Here is my dilemma: I know there are threads on taking it off and painting it... however to be able to mount a camera behind the emblem, the plastic needs to be completely clear. Will it be possible to make it completely clear/smooth? Ifso, how? I know I tried to wetsand my fog lights w/ some 2000 grit and it left them foggy even after using rubbing/polishing compound on 'em.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions on cheap video cameras. They can either have RCA/BNC/coaxial output, or USB (prefer a mic built in). I think USB is preferrable because handling multiple feeds w/ rca/bnc/coaxile might get costly. I was going to just use a bunch of $20 webcams from eBay, but I dont think the framerate/resolution will be anything more then an annoyance. I want to try and get 5 cameras for under $150. I also am trying to find software able to handle multiple video feeds.

Anyways, lemme know what you think. Thanks.

What if you were real careful and drilled a hole through the plastic right through where the O in ford was. Wouldn't that work better and place the lens through that?

It would be very difficult to get it clear enough to the point where it wouldn't effect the camera.

BBQ_HotDogs said:
What if you were real careful and drilled a hole through the plastic right through where the O in ford was. Wouldn't that work better and place the lens through that?

Well I need some sort of shield over the lense... Maybe if I cut it out, and then cut a small piece of plexiglass or something to fit in there.. But I want the curvature of the elmblem to remain the same.

Back