• Register Today It's free!

Manual transmission issues.

bfarberg5150

Reaction score
City, State
janesville, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 sport 4x4
I have a 93 explorer sport 4x4 4speed manual w\od. shifts fine thru the gears but when i stop and have it in neutral its hard to get it back into gear. if i turn the truck off it goes into gear right away. what kind of problem do i have ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you might need a new slave cylinder/throw-out bearing (all one unit) which is a fairly common problem. If you replace it while you're in there you should probably replace the clutch too.

I have a 93 explorer sport 4x4 4speed manual w\od. shifts fine thru the gears but when i stop and have it in neutral its hard to get it back into gear. if i turn the truck off it goes into gear right away. what kind of problem do i have ?

Difficulty in shifting from neutral to 1st. gear with engine running results from the necessity of bringing to a standstill, the transmission input shaft and cluster gear, in order to allow engagement of 1st. gear.

Theory aside, yes, the clutch release system may be at fault. However, try this in the meantime: Shift into a higher gear, perhaps 3rd. before shifting into 1st. You may find this allows easier initial shift from neutral.

The scheme of "blipping" into high gear before 1st. dates back to the times when first gear in ALL transmissions was a non-synchronized gear; the higher gears were synch., so "clash" was eliminated by engaging high just before 1st. Mant newer manual transmissions, notably the T-5 type used in Mustangs of early 90s vintage had ALL gears synchronized, even reverse. imp

It could be your clutch slave, or your synchro's.

Both would have similar symptoms. And to compound the issue, a bad clutch slave WILL lead to worn synchro's.

Ryan

Back