• Register Today It's free!

Maximizing Fuel Mileage

JakePSD

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 97 mountaineer v8 AWD. Just wondering what tips and tricks y'all have on getting the best possible MPG out of one of these things. My goal is a consistent 20. I'm probably gonna remove the roof rack as long as it doesn't leave a bunch if holes in the roof. I've considered removing the fan and clutch assembly also. This truck will never see a trailer and will rarely go off road. Its more or less just a cruiser/winter beater. What ideas do you guys got?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 mountaineer v8 AWD. Just wondering what tips and tricks y'all have on getting the best possible MPG out of one of these things. My goal is a consistent 20. I'm probably gonna remove the roof rack as long as it doesn't leave a bunch if holes in the roof. I've considered removing the fan and clutch assembly also. This truck will never see a trailer and will rarely go off road. Its more or less just a cruiser/winter beater. What ideas do you guys got?
Just drive sensibly, and use synthetic fluids in the engine, transfer case, rear end, transmission. I don't see removing the roof rack, and the fan clutch as helping the mileage very much. Maintaining the vehicle will do as much as removing the rack, and you have to have some way to cool the engine. You would have to go with an electric fan if you remove the factory fan. By the time you spend all the money for that, you will have bought a bunch of gas.

Drive with an egg under your foot!

20 mpg average for a 5.0 AWD is going to be tough. Not sure if you will have overheating problems with no fan, it seems like a bad idea though. You would probably need at least a small electric fan even during cold weather use.

Synthetics will help quite a bit. You have a lot of friction and gears (engine, transmission, transfer case, front diff, rear diff) and you'll buy maybe 1-2% improvement for each one.

Fill your tires to 35 psi too.

Make sure your A/C isn't running all the time - keep the switch in the VENT or FLOOR positions unless you need A/C. The compressor will run in all other positions.

Lower the front of the truck an inch or so using the torsion bars. You'll want to trim the bumpstops if you do this - but its easy, just a single 10mm bolt and a hacksaw will make short work of it.

Of course do the usual tuneup items (plugs and wires mostly)

EDIT: An underdrive pulley might be a good option, and you get free horsepower to boot.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...ear/1997/make/ford/model/explorer?prefilter=1

That is for a 97, not positive it fits a 1998.

If I where you I would get an electric fan kit, Torque Monster Headers, the underdrive pulleys set, reduce weight if possible, and all the above. you will easily get 15-20 MPGs if you do all that. But if you want a vehicle that is good on gas, you picked the wrong one. I mean the truck is shaped like a box, and weighs a lot.

Lost some weight....are you carrying anything around inside the vehicle you don't necessarily need?

Give the exterior a good detailing as having a smooth finish with help bump up MPG a bit with decreased airflow resistance.

In 2000 Ford was already paying a lot of attention to fuel mileage. So they've optimized the truck pretty well for what it is. V8 and 2.5 tons isn't exactly an economy car. Unless you make major modification you aren't going to pick up more than a mile or two. I've heard the stories of 30mpg Explorers, but I think they've spent more money on improvements than gasoline.

Keep it tuned, clean and tires aired up. Drive sensibly.

Driving style has the biggest impact on mpg. My wife has a new AWD Equinox. (OMG a Chevy). She gets about 21mpg and I get 28 on exactly the same routes. And ironically, she's not a lead foot. Actually the opposite. I think she accelerates too slowly so the thing never gets into optimum economy. Also, she doesn't keep a steady foot. Speed is up and down by a couple mph constantly.

The mileage killer on these heavy vehicles is hard acceleration above 2500 RPM from stops.
Reading EF mileage reports, the variance between city and highway MPG is high as 10 MPG.
If you're using E85, expect at least a 25-30% decrease in fuel economy. E10, as much as 20%.

I just put a vacume gauge in mine and it really helps to remind you to get your foot out of it. I can be cruising at say 50 mph, let my foot off enough to drop the gauge considerably and still maintain 50. I look at that more than I look at my tach. Also, you can learn to keep that gauge steady and keep consistant mpg - "Target Driving"

I just put a vacume gauge in mine and it really helps to remind you to get your foot out of it. I can be cruising at say 50 mph, let my foot off enough to drop the gauge considerably and still maintain 50. I look at that more than I look at my tach. Also, you can learn to keep that gauge steady and keep consistant mpg - "Target Driving"

Years ago I had a Pontiac with an "economy gage". Literally all it was was a vacuum gage. Really. But that truly is a good indicator of how much fuel you are using. More vacuum equals sucking more gas out of the fuel tank!

I see a lot of people taking off from redlight very slow, hoping to get better gas mileage. It is a false legend, started from the times of carburetor engines, because carburetors needed extra fuel dumped during wide-open throttle.
The present day injection systems are better in delivering only needed amount of gas.

The only issues that remains is the engine rpm versus actual speed. Short version:
The more time your car drives on lower gears, the more gas will use per mile.
The quicker you reach the overdrive and lock the torque converter, the lower amount of gas you will spend per mile.
Don't "floor it" but go at least past 1/2 or throttle range... Driving at 10% it just waste gas and makes traffic even worse, leading for all of us (including you) to stay more in traffic, burning gas idling at relights.

Aldive's was a 4.0 SOHC actually

A lot of his mods can apply to the 5.0, but you need to have the time and effort to install the things he used and the money to do it initially. Very few have the patience to do what he did.

I have been thinking of dropping my front end about an inch but I dont know if its worth it...

I have been thinking of dropping my front end about an inch but I dont know if its worth it...

There is no magic mileage bullet... every little bit helps.

ponkotsu, where are you getting your vacuum reading? If you are referencing manifold vacuum, your statement is wrong.The higher the manifold vacuum, less open throttle, the easier the engine is working, thus better fuel economy. If you are getting vacuum from the ported vacuum source from the carburetor,IE, venturi vacuum, then you are correct. Higher vacuum from the ported source means the engine is pulling harder, wider open throttle, thus less fuel economy. On todays fuel injected engines the vacuum source would be from the manifold. try it. Hook a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source and note the vacuum at idle will be about 20" vacuum, depending on altitude and engine condition. Open the throttle, and watch the vacuum fall. using the same hook up, drive and watch the vacuum fall whenever you open the throttle, however slightly. Then watch it rise whenever you close the throttle and are coasting.

Well, as a few people have said. You are driving a fricking 4x4 brick through the air. Can't get that good of mileage easily. but here's the quick and dirty of what you can do that combines what everyone has said.
  • plugs and wires
  • keep tires pumped (35-40psi)
  • lose weight wherever you can (clean the truck out, drop spare tire)
  • synthetic oils everywhere
  • do intake and exhaust upgrade
  • underdrive kit
  • drive sensibly.
Now you can also get a chip. but when you do. get a CUSTOM tune made. it will help significantly. And when I say drive sesibly, i mean try not to get irritated at all the slow people driving on the road like I do and floor it around them, but dont drive like the damned idiot that i'm flooring it by either. Low rpms and idling kill mileage and gum your engine right up. As far as the electric fan, guess what. It will take more juice out of the battery, and make the alternator work harder, draggin the engine! And therefore getting rid of the mileage you picked up. You want horsepower, GET RID of the ac. You got windows for a reason! There's a guy on here who did some dyno tests with the ac compressor on, and then with it off. 20hp difference right there!
Also, your axle gears make a difference. 4.10 like mine means low end torque, BUT kills my highway mileage cause the highway rpms are 2750 at 120km/h. A 3.55 gear would be better, but you lose torque.
Unfortunately, not everyone can get good mileage. Every ride is different. I have the ac compressor off, full synthetic fluids all around, cai, exhaust, brown wire mod, and all of that jazz and I only get 17mpg on a good day. Hopefully getting a chip soon to see what it does for me. All of the little things combined together should get you up there in mpg, but if you dont see crazy results, dont be dissapointed! Any fuel savings is money in your pocket, and you arent driving a smart car! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as the electric fan, guess what. It will take more juice out of the battery, and make the alternator work harder, draggin the engine! And therefore getting rid of the mileage you picked up.... and you arent driving a smart car! :D

1: Smart cars are stupid!
2: The electric fan does not run most of the time. I just installed one on mine and know that it does not run most of the time because I have an indicator light on it. I do not know how much it is saving me in gas however because I have not got a full tank of gas since I installed it. But, the driveablity difference is HUGE with an electric fan over stock.

Back