Maximizing Fuel Mileage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Maximizing Fuel Mileage

1: Smart cars are stupid!
2: The electric fan does not run most of the time. I just installed one on mine and know that it does not run most of the time because I have an indicator light on it. I do not know how much it is saving me in gas however because I have not got a full tank of gas since I installed it. But, the driveablity difference is HUGE with an electric fan over stock.

1: My mother has a smart car. It handles like a go-cart, it just needs a GSXR or 'Busa engine to be a LOT of fun!!!
(The smart car has more leg room and interior storage space then a reg cab Ranger.)

2: I picked up just over 1 MPG on my '90 4.0l when I swapped in an E-fan.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1: My mother has a smart car. It handles like a go-cart, it just needs a GSXR or 'Busa engine to be a LOT of fun!!!
(The smart car has more leg room and interior storage space then a reg cab Ranger.)

2: I picked up just over 1 MPG on my '90 4.0l when I swapped in an E-fan.

I never said a "smart" car wouldnt be fun to drive. My father-in-law has a Geo Metro that is fun to drive because it gets 50+ mpg and you dont really have to slow down to pull into parking spots lol.
Good to know about the E-fan!

ponkotsu, where are you getting your vacuum reading? If you are referencing manifold vacuum, your statement is wrong.The higher the manifold vacuum, less open throttle, the easier the engine is working, thus better fuel economy. If you are getting vacuum from the ported vacuum source from the carburetor,IE, venturi vacuum, then you are correct. Higher vacuum from the ported source means the engine is pulling harder, wider open throttle, thus less fuel economy. On todays fuel injected engines the vacuum source would be from the manifold. try it. Hook a vacuum gauge to a manifold vacuum source and note the vacuum at idle will be about 20" vacuum, depending on altitude and engine condition. Open the throttle, and watch the vacuum fall. using the same hook up, drive and watch the vacuum fall whenever you open the throttle, however slightly. Then watch it rise whenever you close the throttle and are coasting.
This was on a 1976 Lemans. I believe you are correct. More throttle is less vacuum. So maybe the gage was setup that way. All I remember is the only connection it had to the car was a vacuum hose. Don't remember where it was connected. Really it was just a gimmick. Red is bad, green good. LOL

re: Smart cars. Have you seen the commercial with the Suburban sitting on top on the Smart car unibody frame, showing how strong it is? Maybe, if a Suburban happens to drop out of the sky on you, but Google real world Smart car crashes... ouch! Give me a nice heavy full frame truck any day. Gas milage isn't everything.

^^ agreed!

You can stand on a soda can untill the side dents, then it flattens right out!

Google real world Smart car crashes... ouch! Give me a nice heavy full frame truck any day. Gas milage isn't everything.

Haha yeah. I watched a few youtube vids of smartcars hitting a brick wall at highway speeds. Guess what. THE DRIVER DIES. Stupid "bubble" survives, but the driver inside is toast. And yes, a busa motor in a smart car is a GOOD idea. Nothing but donuts!

Back