• Register Today It's free!

Mod limit before tune is needed?

Fabbed4d88

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Forks North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
I did a serch and got alot of info on cam swaps...(Great info here I'm glad I found this site) I'm looking at Comp Cams XTREME ENERGY 35-349-8, The specs on this cam are:
INTAKE MASTER 3610F
EXHAUST MASTER 3611F
ENGINE FW XE264HR-14
GRIND NUMBER FW XE264HR-14

INT EXH
HYDRAULIC Y/N YES DUR @.050
212 218
INT EXH LOBE
LIFT .321 .321
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD ROCKER RATIO 1.60 1.60
MAX GROSS VALVE LIFT .512 .512
DUR @ .006 TAPPET LIFT 264 270 LOBE SEPARATI 114.0

ADVANCE 4
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE VALVE SPRINGS 986-16
.006 INT 22 62

EXH 73 17
THESE SPECS ARE FOR CAM(S) INSTALLED
110.0 INTAKE CENTERLINE

Any Input on this cam or recommendations on another would be welcome. Also, shoud this cam require new springs? I only have about 58k (original) on the motor. With the cam swap I would also run a set of rollers. Would this cam require a tune? I know Explorer Express had a Bama Chips tuner....is there anything else? I would like something upgradeable cuz I plan on adding TM headers and other things at a later date.

Thanks for putting up with a noobe question,
Fabbed

Oh yea...I have MAC intake and exhaust already......if that helps??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tuning is absolutely essential for the best performance. I doubt you will notice much gain without it.
Contact our forum vendor-jah81592 for details

www.hensonperformance.com

I would definitely install new springs and lifters when the cam is swapped, and, to be honest I would get the headers first.

Welcome to the forum, and the OBDII and newer computers can handle a lot more than older EECIV's before huge driveability problems happen. But a real tune is very wise, and so is a custom camshaft, no matter what the engine is.

Always buy new springs to match a camshaft(springs chosen by the cam designer, not by specs). Skip the roller rockers, they don't add enough power at the stock rpm levels, they aren't worth the money. Spend the money more wisely, lifters would be more worth it than rockers. Don't consider roller rockers unless the heads have been completely gone through and the best springs/retainers/pushrods/lifters are used. That's when they are needed.

If the budget is small, most times it is, save for what ever modifications and exhaust you will finally get. Save for the flasher($390ish new), and a new camshaft with springs etc. If the budget is small, I'd skip the lifters and rollers, and invest in a custom cam with the springs and whatever else is recommended.

What are most cams(not custom or used), $250 or nearly $300? You can buy a custom cam for as little as $300, but for the level of power wanted don't risk poor cheap core material like OTS cams. Buy a billet cam that will allow much more power and reliability, for $400, and the matching springs. There is a lot of lost power if the springs don't match, or the cam is a compromise due to poor core material(SADI(99% of OTS cams)). People are amazed by the results of real custom cams with matching valvetrain. Heads should be gone through to take full advantage of that, but then again that brings up the budget. Regards,

Thanks for the input...What company would you guys recommend for a custom cam?

Also..when I get the headers I was thinking about getting rid of the rear cats...good idea or bad? Will I NEED a tune after that or will I be ok till I do the cam?

You can do the headers and any exhaust work without having to have a tune. Think of must tune changes as big modifications, injectors, cam, heads, displacement, or boost. The small things can benefit from a tune, but the truck will be fully drivable without it.

The rear cats are excessive restrictions, and the whole cat pipe(pipes) is about that bad. Removing the rear two would help. If you have a good exhaust shop, replacing the cat pipes with better pipes and universal cats for the fronts would help also. But shops which have mandrel benders are rare, just pull the rear two.

If you join the SBFtech forum, a custom cam has the design fee($30) waived as a member. The owners of the site are two of the best engine/cam builders for Fords. They run the site for zero crap real power knowledge and advice. You can get a great custom cam from CI there, just go to the business site and fill out a build sheet. He will get back with you after he has the build sheet. Be sure that you have all modifications listed there. Decide on the current combination beforehand, do another engine or cam in the future if you need something different later.

http://sbftech.com/index.php

Back