• Register Today It's free!

Moisture in doors

Infinity08

Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac LTD
Are the doors of my ST designed to allow water in and just drain through the rather large drains at the bottom? I took my factory speakers out to test fit my new components, and there was considerable moisture on the speakers- MUCH more than I would allow on my new ones. Is this normal, or do I have a problem? I just drove home in the rain, so a bit is expected, but the little enclosed speaker looked like it had just been sprayed with a bottle. I know I can get those little foam baffles, but I want to see if I need to go to the dealership first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never seen a door that is designed to let water in. The usually do have drain holes. How large is "rather large" I think you are on the right track, a little water in the door fine but not alot especially on the speaker. I know where you are coming from about not wanting to get water on your new speakers. I almost started to cry the first time my friend stepped on my fiberglass kick pannels with $450 speakers in them.

The drain holes in the bottoms of the doors are about like half of a nickel, even the semicircular shape, and there's 5 or 6 going across. When I get time next week, I'll either wait until it rains again, or hose down the driver's side and see if it is the same. I don't wish to panic, but I don't think Alpine intended for their TypeX Pro's to be submerged.:(

Bad comes to worse, I can modify some of those XTC foam baffles, but I don't like those things.

That doesn't sound right. 5 or 6 holes that big. No wonder why you have that much water. I would even worry about a marine speaker. How do you like the type x's? I have always run MB Quarts.

Dunno, I haven't hooked them up, yet. I've always used Seas, but my wife surprised me with these. I'll try them.

Well when you get the install done. Post some pictures and reviews. Good luck.

I'll do that. The subs I picked out aren't even being shipped yet (Sundown Audio SD1v2, nor have I picked a head unit (leaning towards the Kenwood 8019 or Alpine W205). I do at least have my main speakers and an amp (Power 1000). It'll be a little while.

Back