problems installing door panel speakers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

problems installing door panel speakers

boney

Reaction score
City, State
woodruff,sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 explorer XLT
I have a 97 XLT and I bought some speakers for my front door panels, I started on the drivers side and I have spliced the speaker wires correctly, however when I screw the speaker in tightly, I have a spark and the speaker cuts off. I have tried unscrewing the ground that runs to my power window and door lock control switch and this allows my speaker to work, but then I have no ground to my windows or door locks so I don't know what to do. Anyone have an answer?

Thanks/Jay

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmm could you have short the speaker because their is only one ground from the stereo unless (you have amps) or thats the case with my 94

Did you cut the stock plug off the stock wiring? They sell adapters so all you to do is plug it in to the new speakers. They are about 5 bucks at audio shops.... Try that if u still have the plugs...

Check and make sure the speaker has enough rear clearance and that the wires are not touching the speaker basket. The basket may be touching one of the wires causing it to ground to the door.

Yup, I'm thinking the speaker is too deep, or it's grounding out somewhere on the rim.

just a guess but is the chasis of the speaker is grounded like an amp right?? so if the magnet hits the door itl ground out right?

it shouldnt be. ive tested my speakers while they have been sitting on the hood of my car. try this: take electrical tape and insulate the terminals where u connected the wires. then try to put the speakers back inside the door. if u still get a spark, then maybe your speakers are electically live when they are connected. in which case u can just take more electrical tape and wrap it around all the metal to be sure it doesnt short (it wont matter if it looks tacky because u wont see the speaker behind the cover)

hey guys thanks for all the tips, I guess if I can't get something to work I may just take it to a car stereo shop, but I sure do appreciate it.

Back