More Timing Chain Questions.....

JNICHOLS

Reaction score
City, State
Port Angeles, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
So here is my story....

I just purchased a 2000 Explorer XLT 4X4 about a week ago. :) The truck only has 52K miles on it and the 4.0L SOHC purred like a kitten on all the test drives, BUT, once I got it home it has developed this nasty little rattle on start up :fire: . After much research and reading all the related threads on this site and asking a few questions I still am not positive on the best course of action. The "rattle" is very intermittent, it rarely happens on a cold start and only on about 50% of the warm/hot starts (mostly when the engine has been shut off for 10-15mins), and lasts anywhere from 15secs to about 2mins. After that the engine runs very smoothly with no abmormal noises. I see there are 3 main options for parts for this symptom. Options 1 & 2 are tensioner kits for either the left or right side (I assume the parts are different for each side). Option 3 is the 00M12 kit which includes the "oil stick" left tensioner and O-rings. I purchased the 00M12 kit since I had to set the idle up because it was so low it almost died. After my research I figured the O-rings where likely the culprit to the idle problem, and I could easily do the chain tensioner at the same time. So....my question is for those of you who have dealt with the SOHC for a while....it seems to me that the tensioner problem is my main concern and that the redesigned tensioner and "oil stick" should fix it. I am guessing with the low mileage on the truck that the "rattle" is a probably a recent develpement and that is why the previous (original) owner traded it off (I paid $2-3K less than other trucks I looked at which had many more miles on them, I think maybe the previous owner was trying to unload it). Anyway, should I expect the tensioner kit to fix my rattle, or should I expect to have to replace more components (ie. chain guides, sprokets...). I did an oil change already (btw who put frakin' drain plug on the side where it sprays all over the frame) and there were no pieces in the oil so I assume the plasic guides are still ok.

Sorry to be so long winded...I just don't want to have to tear any further into a week old vehicle than I have too.

Thanks for all the help...this site if a fabulous resource.

P.S. - I do all my own maintainance except for tires and sometimes exhaust (dealership service depts are the devil in my book) so I am not intimidated by the bigger job if required...I bought this vehicle because of its low miles, and it just sux to have to tear into it in the first week.

Well I installed the kit and I must have had a little leak on the intake O-rings because the engine runs much better. Also (so far) I have no noise at all from the timing chain. There was a loud clatter from the chain on the first start after installing the new tensioner, but I'm sure that was because it had no oil, and it went away in about 1 or 2 secs. Since then every start has been flawless!!

So far so good...anybody done this and then had to change out more timing components later down the road (ie higher mileage)?

Yeah mate I did em at 115,000 kilometres it’s now at 150,000 and it’s still good.

I am getting ready to sell it in the next few months, it will be sad to see it go when the time comes, who ever buy’s it should get some good service out of it as I have looked after it well.

Back