• Register Today It's free!

My b4 and after shackle install

BlitzBurgh87

Reaction score
City, State
Buchanan, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
First off i just wanted to thank all the people who helped me out and told me what to buy to raise the back of my explorer a little bit...i ended up getting 2 inches give or a take a little. Here are my b4 and after pics...sorry for the not so good pics wasnt thinking when i took em.

left wheel b4 install
LeftWheelb4lift.jpg

left wheel after install
Leftwheelafterlift.jpg

right wheel b4 install
rightwheelb4lift.jpg

right wheel after install
rightwheelafterlift.jpg

please tell me what you think and if any one knows of ways other than the torsion twist to raise my vehicle rather inexpensively please let me know...thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All i did for the time being is the shackle install...and i was in such a hurry to install the shackles that i didnt take a full side pic b4 the install...if you want i can still take a side pic with it installed....and i have a question for anyone out there...what is a coilspring lift or whatever it is that roadbully sales....i have a 98 and want more of a lift for cheap...how do i do it

yeah, if you can take a full side view pic of it..

you have a 2nd gen explorer and from what i've read with 2nd gen sports is that you have a mono leaf spring at the back.. you can swap it out with a 4 door explorer to hel/prevent/cure the butt sag..

as for the coilspring lift that you mentioned, it does not apply to us.. we have tortion bars in the front and no coil springs to add spacers on..

here's a link to the TT info: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196965

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47345

TT is free, shackles you already have, if you want more lift for 33" tires do a 3" bodylift which is very affordable >> click here >> http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186408

hey from what i can tell it looks good. if you want a inexpensive lift do a 3 inch body lift. part #PA-883 I did mine a few weeks ago and the kit only cost me 189.00 from suspensionconnection.com click on my cardomain.com link in my signature to see what it looks like and determin if that's something you would be interested in doing.

the only problem with that body lift is that some parts have to be welded...if im not mistaken and also the rear bumper brackets dont fit right or dont come with it at all and i dont have access to a welder to do that...i would love to do the the body lift if i could....any suggestions?

nooooo you dont have to weld anything at all and the front brackets in the kit work perfectly fine and the rear ones work if you flip them upside down. there is no welding involved. I did mine 3 weeks ago in 14 hours in my drive way with only basic tools. it's wayyy worth the work and I highly recomend doing it.

nooooo you dont have to weld anything at all and the front brackets in the kit work perfectly fine and the rear ones work if you flip them upside down. there is no welding involved. I did mine 3 weeks ago in 14 hours in my drive way with only basic tools. it's wayyy worth the work and I highly recomend doing it.

Did you do what i recommended? I have a hard time describing it and i don't have any pictures. I messed around with it a few weeks ago and got the bumper to go up another 1/2", so it's only about one or one and a half below where it should be.

Also to blitz, those center caps on your wheels look great on a black steel wheel -
2007TJsTRUCK0049.jpg

Did you do what i recommended? I have a hard time describing it and i don't have any pictures. I messed around with it a few weeks ago and got the bumper to go up another 1/2", so it's only about one or one and a half below where it should be.

Also to blitz, those center caps on your wheels look great on a black steel wheel -
2007TJsTRUCK0049.jpg

I did do what you recomended:D Thanks for that by the way:thumbsup:It took me a little while but yeah I took the brackets that come in the kit and used them on the oppisite sides and upside down. My bumper actually sits like 1/2 to high but I don't mind it and it's not that noticable.
You can kinda see it in this pic here...
3092794_247_full.jpg

Also i barely noticed a power loss with the 33's and my 3.73's. Most of the jeep guys are running 33's with there 3.53 and 185 HP 4.0's.
They're all jealus of our 3.73's and more power so personally I would not spend the money on regearing it if you do the BL and 33's

alright fellas i appreciate all the help and input...the body lift would have to be a weekend project for me as i work full time and dont have time during the week...i am going to do it tho...

so if you take the rear bumper brackets and flip them upside down, then use them on the opposite side they were intended for...it will fit about 1/2 inch higher?

here are some more pictures

back view
backpicture.jpg

front view
frontpicture.jpg

left hid headlight setup
lefthidheadlight.jpg

right hid headlight setup
righthidheadlight.jpg

left side view
leftsideview.jpg

right side view
rightsideview.jpg

so if you take the rear bumper brackets and flip them upside down, then use them on the opposite side they were intended for...it will fit about 1/2 inch higher?

That is correct!:thumbsup:

question, i just installed my fabbed up shackles that are 7.5" bolt to bolt (i didnt want it to be as long as the warriors..). should i get it aligned? i mean, i only did the shackles like blitz did and left the front alone.. so should i get it checked out and or get an alignment again?

Thanks!

question, i just installed my fabbed up shackles that are 7.5" bolt to bolt (i didnt want it to be as long as the warriors..). should i get it aligned? i mean, i only did the shackles like blitz did and left the front alone.. so should i get it checked out and or get an alignment again?

Thanks!

no, you dont have to align the rear cause it's a sollid axle and ally our doing is pushing the rear end up. There's no angles involved for the tires or anything. Only the angle of the drive shaft really. Which will not even be touched with an alignment.

^^^ thanks!

drove it around the beltway yesterday and it rides superb.. no shaking or anything up to 95mph so i guess its all good..

Yeah, mines fine so far too. No shaking except fromt he front where I need an alignment and new tires, wore through more tires, third set in like 2 years. Gotta stop putting off an alignment each time I adjust it, lol.

if you're constantly adjusting/experimenting with your suspension setup, you might as well get the lifetime alignment thing that they offer at most tire shops.. that's what i got and i think i've had my truck checked and re-adjusted 7 times in 9 months..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you're constantly adjusting/experimenting with your suspension setup, you might as well get the lifetime alignment thing that they offer at most tire shops.. that's what i got and i think i've had my truck checked and re-adjusted 7 times in 9 months..

I always forget about that. I definitely should this time. Need it done soon cause I'm raising the front up more and need to adjust my camber adjusters. I can get camber pretty dead on, but the tow and whatnot is what messes me up every time. lol

Back