• Register Today It's free!

MOT .... Pass !!

Bluespear

Reaction score
City, State
Ashford, Kent, England (near London)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 SOHC
Just back from MOT & it passed !! (to my amazement )

Only just passed emissions on Lambda & CO on fast idle.
Only 3 advisories for slightly corroded brake lines - ns/rr, os/rr, & os/ft.

Both front lower ball-joints have torn rubbers, but no excessive free movement. (the tester suggested if I fill them full of grease they'll be fine for another year)

Are these ball-joints easy to replace ?? or were they pressed in at the factory with a million tonne machine ?? or any other issues I need to know about ??

TIA
Gary

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Congrats! The lower ball joints are pressed in but they're do-able. It helps if you have a ball joint tool. There are guides on these forums to help you see what you're up against.

Congratulations. Aren't these things great when they're running properly!

Just had my lower suspension arms off to paint and check bushes. Take the circlip out and hit the top of the joint with a lump hammer on a socket or tube. You wont be able to get the joint back in with the arm fitted. It takes some serious force to get it back in.
Alternativly, ROCKAUTO sell the complete arm for about £60.
Kev.

You wont be able to get the joint back in with the arm fitted. It takes some serious force to get it back in.

Kev.

There's a "how to - guide" for this which suggests it'll go back in by jacking it through from below ........ is that not a viable option ??

You have to get it perfectly square before you have any chance of it going in. I had sand blasted mine so there was no corrosion/rust whatsoever and it was a really tight fit.

I did one of my ball joints on my drive, with the lower arm in situ.
I braced below the arm, took off the circlip (obviously all the other dismantling already done) and hit it with a sledge (i love BFH's). To install the new one put it in the freezer over night and clean up the aperture with emery paper. then push in as square as you can. i then used a standard hammer and punch to gently tap around the lip up and slowly worked it in over 1/2 hour.
HTH

I had a wander down the pit while it was being MOT'd - its all quite rusty in the suspenders, so maybe its worthwhile taking lots of it apart, de-rusting & respraying before fitting new parts.

I was going to freeze the LBJ's anyway, Jan. Always have to do that on steering head bearings on the bike, but worth mentioning here for anyone else about to do the job.

Been on ebay - there seem to be a lot of choices from about £7 each to about £20 each. Are there good & bad LBJ's ? or are they all similar ?

I bought cheap LBJ's from ebay the first time and they are only good for getting through the MOT, they were shot after 20k miles, go with the best you can afford if you are keeping the car for a while imo

hi jim if the cheep lbj lasts 20k that would most likely be 3or 4 years for most of us. cheers chris

View attachment 62958

One side repainted. Labour of love I think. Trying to source some stainless hoses.

Kev, that looks bloody amazing! Max respect as usual. Now if you can just find a way to bottle your diligence and dedication, we'll all be queuing for a pint!

Thanks Jon.
By the way, sorry if I hijacked post. Should have done my own. Appologies.
I've found a local firm that is making me some stainless braided front hoses from Goodrich parts. I will report back if they make the brake pedal 'firmer' on a new post.
Kev.

Kevin, you're undercarriage looks superb (forgive the double-entende)
When are you coming round to do mine ??

Thanks Gary.
I started descaling the rust with a chipping hammer. I couldn't believe how many layers of rust there were, thats why I decided to strip all the parts off and sand blast them.
If you do decide to paint yours, I think you will make a decent job with all the parts in situ. It just takes along time either way.
I used acid8 primer. 2 coats normal primer. 2 coats of black. 2 coats heavy duty laquer.
I also stuck some thick leather on the torsion bar adjusters because the teflon pads had dissappeared. Don't think they will last long though.

Back