MOT time and handbrake

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
Hi All

My EX passed the MOT today first time, no advisory items, even the MOT guy said how sweet she ran.

I was concerned about the handbrake but I shouldn't have been, so I thought I would post the results from the rolling road test.

What I did this year (in the summer):

- new rear axle bearings (it elimiated vertical play which wears the handbrake shoes and makes proper adjustment harder (as you have to adjust with the wheels off the ground and with the axle at the bottom of the bearing wear)

- new rear discs and shoes

- Adjusted each side 3 times, pulling the handbreak on between each adjustment so the shoes are centred in the drum. Handbrake handle comes up 6 clicks.

So the results from the MOT.

Hand brake: Left = 178kg , Right 200kg, 1% imbalance, 24% efficiency

The tester said that the results would have been better as the wheels locked up and jumped out of the rollers. - he also said that he would not have seen better on a new car.

Service Brakes : fronts = 300 and 310 Kg, rear = 350 and 360kg, 78% efficiency

again wheels locked up

cheers

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See it can be done!
Good work again Jim
So what are you going to dismantle, i mean fix next?

When I had my mot the tester took it for a road test for the brakes. He said that as the 4WD is always on its not a good idea to use the rollers. Anyone else heard this? - passed though!

Hi jan

nothing really broken at the moment:p: but that will change soon.

slight oil leak from front crank seal (like 1 drip a day)

Slight ATF leak from autobox cooler pipe union.

Neither of which will get me under the car anytime soon:D

with respect to 4x4 cars and rolling road testing, I'm not sure, my ex is curently RWD as I've dropped the front propshaft (I do a lot of long distance motorway driving)
so don't encounter this at MOT time
cheers

Jim

When mine went for its mot the tester took it for a spin with a funny shaped weight to test the brakes.He to said it was because the 4 wheel drive felt tight on the rolling road.

Mine went through two weeks ago with 15% on the handbrake!
He just told that it needed adjusting and then let it through...

Back