• Register Today It's free!

Motor Swap vs Body swap

01RangerEdge

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh,WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger Edge
Hello all new to forum and have a ? i have a 2001 edge, has high miles and found a donor truck that has almost no miles on it but was rolled...My ? is, Would it be eaiser to take motor trans ect out of donor or would it be eiaser to remove my bed and cab and put on donor? any and all help would be great thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine's? What years?

Just remember that if you swap the body parts and cab to the rolled truck it will have an R-title since you are rebuilding it(assuming it has a salvage title now).

Driver is A 2001 edge with a 3.0 donor truck is a 2003 with a 4.0

One thing MIGHT be wiring differences.. people with other differences in the vehicles will chime in I can't think of any other difficulties other than electronics but those can be fixed.

And, since it's a rollover.. any frame damage or suspension damage?... Anything like that could make this whole project a mess.

And yes donor has a salvage title

One thing MIGHT be wiring differences.. people with other differences in the vehicles will chime in I can't think of any other difficulties other than electronics but those can be fixed.

And, since it's a rollover.. any frame damage or suspension damage?... Anything like that could make this whole project a mess.

I agree with any frame damage ect.... I am personally leaning towards motor and trans into mine seems like the smarter of the 2 options being that i know my truck is sound frame and suspension wise..

As storlied mentioned the wiring will most likely require some work because of the different motors. The truck, being that it rolled could also have damaged suspension parts as he mentioned. If you do decide to go to body swap route call your insurance company to make sure they cover r-titled vehicles because they may change your rates or not cover it.

edit: i agree with your thinking of the motor and trans swap being easier.

And i couldnt pass up the donor truck..only a hair over 36k on it!!! and came at a GOOOOOD price lol

Sport, my other question is, if i take the 4.0 motor and trans out of this truck and put in mine would i also then have to swap rear ends?

Explain further? You'd need to use the drive shafts with the new tranny/tcase but the axle positions shouldn't be an issue.

Back