Mounty rear wheel bearing question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounty rear wheel bearing question

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
looking at rear wheel bearings,
I'm unclear as to why the parts I see seem to show the bearings already pressed into a mounting plate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

(
looking at rear wheel bearings,
I'm unclear as to why the parts I see seem to show the bearings already pressed into a mounting plate?
Bump

Anybody?

Here is the bearing you need to order times two, they are $51.79 each.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1836146 Just click add to cart then change the quantity.

and here is the video on how to replace it properly...

and here is another video that shows a few things not to do...

like 1. using a 20 ton press for a job that requires a 50 ton press. 2. not pressing in the new bearings from the outer edge to avoid damaging them. and 3 using National bearings from AdvanceAuto *sigh*.

I would not even attempt anything with watching both of those videos in their entirety then decide if this is still a job you wish to attempt to do yourself. It would be better to do yourself though, because you just can't trust shops to do it like the first video and not do it like the second video.

Wow! I wish I saw this before I purchase them from AMAZON. I bought Timken which is > $100/set.
Timken is a known brand but SKF should be also good.

Wow! I wish I saw this before I purchase them from AMAZON. I bought Timken which is > $100/set.
Timken is a known brand but SKF should be also good.

SKF uses Timken bearings in a lot of their stuff and overall is better than Timken. SKF is like "Timken Enhanced" lol.

Teimken bearings and snap rings and hubs from rock auto.
Ordered these and I doing it myself.
Went to 4 wheel drive racing shop near here to find out if they could press bearings out and the mechanic I spoke with said they don't fool with this truck but to get the above items and take wheel assembly off and take it to napa machine shop with those items above. I called napa and they said $55.00 dollars per wheel I'm doing both rears so $110.00 labor to press off and on bearings. A lot cheaper then Ford they gave me a price of $1000.00 to do a turn key job on both rear wheels.

This is per wheel for rear.
Rock Auto # TIMKEN HA590259K

thanks, I checked and I was looking at both front bearing kits as well as rear kits that pictured the bearing and hub together. So just the bearing on rear, and yes I will take your suggestion on brand,

My plan is to have a machine shop press them in, in know a few good ones.

And thanks for the videos, I had seen some with the procedure but not the other one with the "do not do"..!!

I'm still not sure if the rumble is wheel or differential but I will diagnose more...

Teimken bearings and snap rings and hubs from rock auto.
Ordered these and I doing it myself.
Went to 4 wheel drive racing shop near here to find out if they could press bearings out and the mechanic I spoke with said they don't fool with this truck but to get the above items and take wheel assembly off and take it to napa machine shop with those items above. I called napa and they said $55.00 dollars per wheel I'm doing both rears so $110.00 labor to press off and on bearings. A lot cheaper then Ford they gave me a price of $1000.00 to do a turn key job on both rear wheels.

This is per wheel for rear.
Rock Auto # TIMKEN HA590259K

Do not get that set. #1 you do not need to replace the hub unless it's totally rusted or something. #2 Timken named products are not as good as SKF as has been explained in detail by others in other threads. A lot of Timken is Made in China these days.

If you must replace the hub due to rust pitting, bent, etc get this SKF one: http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1842844

Also, personally I would not trust NAPA or anyone to press in the new bearings, they're fine for getting the old ones out with a 50 ton but I'd get your own 20 ton for installing the new ones. I don't trust anyone to not press in the wrong place and ruin new bearings like the the guy in the second video does and don't even know it.

Back