• Register Today It's free!

Muffler idea's for a 98 5.0

GT2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer V8 AWD
Callsign
Dora the explorer
I've been searching around for mufflers, but i'm not sure what to get. I want to hear it, I'm looking for something that is gonna make some noise. but still have a nice low tone, not being so loud that its popping and screaming. I don't mind a little bit of drone, and resonator is likely just going to stay on. Heard the Flowmaster super 40 was decently loud, but not to the point where its unpleasant. I'm open to any suggestions though. Let me know what you guys think, or what you guys have and like on your trucks. Also if some one could let me know the inlet and outlet sizes on the stock system, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock exhaust has all 2 1/4" pipes, with joints at each component that are less than that. The OEM welds are good and strong, but inside they are closer to 2 1/8" in size. The stock resonator is small and restrictive, you might do well to choose a muffler that is towards the less loud side, larger than smaller, and leave out the resonator. Remove the rear cats and it will also get louder.

Take the power level you are aiming for, and figure out what exhaust size(area) is needed for that. There are tons of sources for those exhaust size limitations on the web. I'd expect you to discover that two 2.5" pipes are about the high side in area, to handle the power you want. Most V8 Mustangs have at least dual 2.5" exhausts, they are stock 2.25" whereas the Explorer has a single 2.25" system(count the area leaving the tail pipe(s)).

Not hugely concerned with power because I don't plan on doing too much to the truck on that front, maybe a few basic things, but i wouldn't mind having the exhaust exit behind the rear tire on the side like I've seen on some other setups, i like the look, and in the process getting rid of the res.

My favorite setup has been remove the muffler and install a dual 2.5- 3" single Y pipe, 3" single in/out Flowmaster super 44 and single 3" tail pipe out the back with a 3.5" slash cut tip. I've done duals, dumps, and now duals out the side before the wheel (ranger) and the suggested setup sounded the best and gave the best balance of power.

So u like the 3inch super 44? How would u describe the sound level on that? I'm assuming no resonator with that setup.

Pretty loud but not obnoxious. Some highway drone though. Great sound at idle.

Not hugely concerned with power because I don't plan on doing too much to the truck on that front, maybe a few basic things, but i wouldn't mind having the exhaust exit behind the rear tire on the side like I've seen on some other setups, i like the look, and in the process getting rid of the res.

I thought you were after more power too, I must have forgotten your other posts/goals.

boominXplorer is right then, a simple muffler and tail pipe change will get you a better sound. There are lots of dual inlet and single outlet mufflers, those would be the easiest way to do it. Bigger tail pipes make it sound a little deeper, so you might just do the muffler back, or open the front cat pipes after the rear cat, to 2.5" pipes. Larger mufflers are usually less loud, that's why the Flow masters are loudest in the single and dual chamber versions.

From some clips of a single muffler in various pickup trucks, the Vortex is the one I decided on. Those come in dual 2.5" inlet, 3" outlet, other sizes too. Those are supposed to be on the highest flowing end, and not as loud as the most loud.

I had considered doing some preformance stuff, but i realized some of the costs in the real stuff that makes a difference, and i’ve been happy enough with the current power. Like i said maybe ill do a few little things, muffler, intake, ect, but my main goal with the muffler is for better sound.

if you want better sound ditch the secondary cats and the resonator.......... run a dual 2.5" in and single 3" outlet muffler....
Your choice of muffler, Flowmaster is good sound but I prefer Magnaflow and borla mufflers....better build quality.......but a bit pricey.
removing the secondary cats and the resonator will make it sound like a real SBF instead of a soccer mom suv

So i did find a flowmaster super 44 with a 2.5in dual in, and center out 3in. Its also made of stainless steel, which I like being up in the PA rust belt. I like the dual in set up too, less modification work.
Like you guys said, I think I do want to ditch the res, but I'm not gonna mess with the cats.
Part number on the flow is 8425453

the secondary cat converters are not required for emissions, only the primary cats up stream of the 02 sensors are. The converters are big time flow restrictions and heat chambers.....I do not like them.
Stainless steel is the best way to go! My Flopro (flowmaster copy cat) muffler lasted 4 years before it rusted out..
It is a GREAT Idea to let the dual inlet single outlet muffler scavenge the two exhaust banks together... You will like the 302 sound of a flowmaster 40 series

I replaced my whole exhaust with MagnaFlow system. I looooove the sound of my 2004 v8 now.
The wife does whine a lot about it though. She also whined about the 2003 HD softtail but her ears were a lot closer to them.

The sound of yesterday when American Muscle was a good thing.

It did hinder tranny fluid changes until I cut/spliced in a 15" cutout in the crossover pipe to allow the pan to drop without dropping the exhaust system.
And in my research the Stainless system was about double regular exhaust but you get what you pay for.

The previous owner of my Mountaineer left all 4 cats in, but eliminated the resonator and muffler all together. Ran the exhaust all the way out to the side behind the rear wheel. I was concerned that it might be too loud, but not at all. The 4 cats do allot to quiet things down. I like the sound also. I have also went to the torque monster headers which change the tone and slightly increased the sound level, but not much. I frequently tow a 4000+ pound trailer with it on the freeway. Not too loud at all. Living in California, I was concerned about the smog implications of running without a muffler, but they are not considered "smog equipment" so it is not a problem here.

GT2000:

I recommend a single 3" system using a Borla Turbo style muffler of better. To me nothing sounds better than a Borla muffler. As far as the rest of the system, it can be pieced together with a section of strait tubing and the mandrel pre-bent turn sections available from SummitRacing and JEGS. You could also purchase a complete bolt on kit but it will cost at least 2x more, than if you build it yourself.

$120, Borla Turbo muffler
$180, two 5' stainless steel 3" tubing
$120, six various degree elbow pieces (60°, 90° )
$100, muffler band clamps or welding work

Done!!

You use your muffler as a "H" crossover component; then you could save some money by using a dual 2¼" in/dual 2¼" out. Still WAY CHEAPER than any quality "kit" and you can run your pipes exactly where you want.

The previous owner of my Mountaineer left all 4 cats in, but eliminated the resonator and muffler all together. Ran the exhaust all the way out to the side behind the rear wheel. I was concerned that it might be too loud, but not at all. The 4 cats do allot to quiet things down. I like the sound also. I have also went to the torque monster headers which change the tone and slightly increased the sound level, but not much. I frequently tow a 4000+ pound trailer with it on the freeway. Not too loud at all. Living in California, I was concerned about the smog implications of running without a muffler, but they are not considered "smog equipment" so it is not a problem here.

Really? So its not unpleasantly loud to have no muffler at all. Now i'm interested because i called around to exhaust shops and they want OVER 200$ just to do the tail pipe, + another 100ish for me to get the muffler. I wasn't really looking to go 300+ into the exhaust. If I just ditch the muffler, and run a y pipe into the existing tail pipe, that ought to be pretty cheap, and still get the loudness I'm looking for. Hmm

I really is not that loud at all. The 4 cats really quiet it down allot. Let me put it this way, it is no where near as loud as my 67 Bronco with built 351W, mid length headers, dual 2.5 in to a single magnaflow muffler with a 3" out the back. That's a bit louder than I really want, but man is it glorious when accelerating ;)

I'd say try it! You can always add a muffler or resonator from small to large to tune it to your liking.

I have done my own exhaust work on a few builds. I like a turbo muffler but it may be too quiet with all four cats.

I am likely to remove all from the second cats back. I will start it just to see how loud it is for fun. Then I am likely to try a turbo muffler then add a resonator if too loud for me. Good luck!

I just ordered up a Borla last night before seeing this thread. The Borla is supposed to have relatively low drone at cruise but a nice growl. I got a dual 2.25” in with single 3” out. Going to make my own pipes out of aluminized since I have a lot on hand in 2.25 and 3. I am using v band clamps to make the exhaust a little more friendly for future removal. I want to eventually make some changes to the cat pipes...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay new idea, I looked it up and you need a muffler for inspection. So I think i'm just gonna cut it off, "clean it out", and put it back on with a few connectors and clamps.

Back