Muffler idea's for a 98 5.0 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler idea's for a 98 5.0

Okay new idea, I looked it up and you need a muffler for inspection. So I think i'm just gonna cut it off, "clean it out", and put it back on with a few connectors and clamps.
That sounds like a lot of work. You will probably have to cut it open and then weld it back closed, and who knows how it will sound when its done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are mufflers that actually garuntee better flow than strait pipe...(Borla XR1)!!!

May want to consider that.

There are mufflers that actually garuntee better flow than strait pipe...(Borla XR1)!!!

May want to consider that.

Well that's BS, anyone with any physics knowledge understands conservation of energy. You cannot gain airflow over a straight pipe with zero restriction, with any magic muffler guts, which don't include some energy input force. So elementary, no muffler flows more air than a straight pipe of equal length.

Well that's BS, anyone with any physics knowledge understands conservation of energy. You cannot gain airflow over a straight pipe with zero restriction, with any magic muffler guts, which don't include some energy input force. So elementary, no muffler flows more air than a straight pipe of equal length.

Don, by some odd coincidence, I had a video come up on my youtube suggestions tonight. A magnaflow engineer made the exact same claim; that being the muffler will flow better than a straight pipe at high flow rates.

CDWboiR:

A Borla XR1 muffler will flow better than strait pipe. I have been using there products for over 30 years. This was demonstrated before I had ever heard of them. Check out the link I sent you.

Hopefully you look up the word liar, next time you abbreviate it BS!

Well after much debating, and it being put on the back burner several times, I finally went with a Borla Pro XS 400486 i believe the number was. I'll let you guys know what i think of it when its on.

Well after much debating, and it being put on the back burner several times, I finally went with a Borla Pro XS 400486 i believe the number was. I'll let you guys know what i think of it when its on.

Please do! I’m looking at the same muffler for my 5.0 Sport.

Well i got it on, and overall I like it. Has a nice deep cleans sound to it, and is very livable, even on the highway. My only complaint is that I wish it was a little louder. If your looking for something that is gonna have a nice tone and but not be so droney on the highway, this would be a great choice. If your looking for a something pretty loud, maybe not. I have no resonator on my truck, but do have all 4 cats.

YOu need to remove the secondary converters it will get the volume you are looking for and gain a little more flow
The factory 5.0 exhaust has 4 converters, a resonator and a muffler.................yuck

YOu need to remove the secondary converters it will get the volume you are looking for and gain a little more flow
The factory 5.0 exhaust has 4 converters, a resonator and a muffler.................yuck
If I remove the secondary cats, will that cause any engine lights or emissions problems?? In my county if your under 5k per year miles, your “exempt” from emissions which i have been for the last two years, however i will be taking this truck on a few trips and be driving it more then i used to, and my go over 5k, and be required to pass. I’ve had a 0420 code off and on with this truck, but never tried to fix it because of being exempt.

Check the 0420 code, isn't that the DPFE sensor possibly Jamie? I had to change that in two of my trucks, both the 302 and my SOHC.

This is a clip of a 5.0, small mufler, no first cats and no resonator:

It has got to be louder inside because of the turn down underneath the rig and probably illegal. Sounds good to me, I want to run it out the back though with a turbo style muffler.................

secondary cat converters are downstream of the last 02 sensor and cannot effect your computer controls.
They are not required for emissions except on a federal level...and you are not trying to pass federal emissions.......

bottom line: You wont find secondary cats on any of my builds

p0420 is bank 1 catalyst efficiency issue, usually this is a leak in the exhaust upstream of the cat or a failing downstream sensor
Sure a DPFE can effect cat monitor on the pass side of the 5.0 (bank 1)
That stupid EGR setup can cause all sorts of issues if there is any leaks or problems with the early aluminum DPFE especially

Doesn't having a dual inlet muffler kinda do the same thing as an X pipe?

Doesn't having a dual inlet muffler kinda do the same thing as an X pipe?

No not really. The mixing of the two banks of exhaust with an "H" or "X" joint helps to allow gases to spread into another space, which reduces restriction. It's very minor, the sound change is what people like the most.

The goal is airflow, just like inside the engine. One muffler flows half as much as two mufflers, the "X pipe" is insignificant.

Yes its mostly for the sound
However I have been VERY happy with the results of letting the dual inlet single outlet muffler do the "scavenging" of the two exhaust banks together.
A duel 2.5 inlet and single 3" outlet muffler works well on these mild 5.0 builds, like under 350 hp (most trucks)
There are a few brands of muffler that can be run this way, reversible............ makes for a nice clean install as well.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410, I came to the same conclusion. I am forgetting the "Y" and going with a Turbo muffler, two 2.5" and one 3".

I'd like to find a 3" tail pipe??????? Did you get something bent-up or find one???

Back